JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a Browning BLR 308 that is Pre '81 (1980 according to the serial number). It's got the bumped out magazines (no - I'm not selling one, so don't ask). I used it for several deer back in my youth, but have always had irons on it. I'd like to get back into deer hunting with it, but would like to put a scope on it (low power). Ideally, I'll eventually try to find an old VX-II 2-7 in gloss (maybe even showing a bit of age) to put on it so that it's more "period correct."

I'm trying to find scope mounts for it. Preferably something low profile and quick-mount, so I can still use the irons. The problem I'm having is figuring out which ones to get. In the past, I went down to Warne to have them find the right ones of theirs to install - but nothing fit correctly. In looking at the Weaver site, there are three different options but I'm not certain which one is right - one lists "BLR flat top (older models)" (which the top on this one isn't flat), one lists "BLR Lightning" (which I know this one isn't), and the third just says "BLR Lever Action" but I'm not certain that's right either. On Leupold's site, they only list a Model 81 BLR, or the newer Lightning models, and only offer the one-piece base with dovetail front and drift screw rears (so no option for quick release or for using the irons). Browning pretends like the Pre '81's don't exist on their site.

So - does anyone on here have a Pre '81 BLR and happen to know of a scope base that will work on it?

I have the same gun, made in the same year (via serial #). It's definitely a favorite.
I have the Leupold one-piece scope base and rings (with the drift screw rear) and a new Leupold 40mm - 3 x 9 - XXX something-or-other variable scope mounted on it. And, as you had alluded to, I can no longer utilize the iron sites. Nevertheless, I feel very confident using the 3-magnification of the scope. Particularly, since I can barely see anything at all beyond the length of the dang barrel anyway.

Sure. Here the link to the bases I bought. They're only $29 now, on sale:

If the link does not work, go to OpticsPlanet.com and perform a search for Item #50237

If you have any issues with this information, please let me know.

Happy New Year!

The Leupold 2x7 is on of my favorite scopes and would be perfect for that gun. I think I have them on 4 or 5 rifles in the VX-1 and VX-2. What I like about that size scope is that you can mount it a little bit lower. Most of my guns I can get away with low-mount rings because of the small bell.

I don't remember the specific model of my BLR but it was an older model and in 358 winchester. And if I remember correctly it had the 2-7 VX on there. It's one of those that I wish I would have hung on to.

Let us know how it turns out for you!

I've been eyeballing a Henry Long Ranger since the day they came out. Particularly, the newer 6.5 Creedmore version. I own a few Henry's, mostly pistol calibers (.38, .357, .44 & .45-70 govt.) and they are all a blast to shoot. They're just not going to stretch out much farther than 200-yards. Which is just about perfect for me as that's about how far my worn out eyes can see clearly anymore. I just love handling lever actions, any lever action.

Thanks for all the info - going to go out and order a few more mounts to test. I've never really spent a ton of time messing with groups on my BLR, but it has always been accurate enough out to about 200yd for me to take down deer.

My pleasure.

Please let the forum members know what you eventually decide on (and why) as far as scope mounts & bases for your BLR. My Leupold mounts & bases have worked perfectly for +/-7 - 8 years & 100's of rounds. They're still good as new. I couldn't ask for much more. Plus, Leupold has a true, "no questions asked" lifetime warranty.

Given the price, I ordered Weaver #25 and #28 mounts to see if either fits the curve on my receiver. Waiting for them to arrive. If one of them is the right profile, I'll have a starting point.

Found an old Leupold Vari X-II 2-7x33 on eBay for $160 that looks to be in really good shape. It may not have all the new fancy coatings and stuff on the lenses, but it's the right vintage for this rifle and will work perfectly well. Putting a brand new matte scope on this well patina'd 1980 rifle just wouldn't look right. It should be here this week.

Closing the loop on this... got things mounted up. Still need to sight it in, but here's what I ended up with:
  • Weaver 25 top mount bases gloss (PN 48025) x 2
  • Weaver Grand Slam steel "medium" rings (really this is what everyone else calls LOW) (PN 49032)
  • Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x33 duplex gloss
    3D914AF5-CEC2-4AF2-A623-0529054C8AFF.jpeg B910DBAE-FA1F-46D9-8099-F0FFEDFB2824.jpeg
    I might need to find a vintage hammer spur for it now... the newer ones don't fit quite right.
    If I pull the scope off, I can JUST use the iron sights over the bases.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top