JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many years ago, I got my dad a BLR in 06. I know nothing about the round, and less about the gun it's self. He had just always wanted a lever action in 06 and I had the means to get him this at a damn good deal.

Fast forward to now. He wants to shoot paper at 600 and maybe even to 1000 yards. How practical is that of this firearm? Factory loads or reloads. Any guidance?

With practice one can make hits out to 600 - 1000 yards with a .30-06.
I used to to do so often enough with a 1903 Springfield or 03A3.

A good set of peep sight will help here...or a decent scope.

As far as a load...165 or 168 grain factory ammo should work.
Lots of bullet weights with the 06 ...lots to choose from and see what works with your rifle.
That said...I just used M2 ball with my 03 and 03A3....but then I shot them a lot.
Andy

That's a nice rifle and 600 yards with a 30-06 is achievable. Not by me and not with iron sights. Military rifle uses open sights at 600 yards. For me though a decent scope and lots of practice is mandatory. 1000 yards for any cartridge is a test, 30-06 would be something.

You might want to check out Sniper's Hide or similar sites. Also take a look at some ballistics apps or data, as your dad is going to be shooting a "lotta of feet" over that target target to hit it at 1000 yards.

Be fun trying.

In my limited experience lever guns are less precise than bolt guns. I think a lot will depend on the barrel, dont let it heat up between shot strings.
The BLR is essentially a bolt action rifle with regards to how the bolt locks up, and are the equal to many bolt actions with regards to accuracy from what I have read.

I have shot a M1A which had an inexpensive 2-7x Redfield hunting scope, and at 1km I was able to hit an 18" steel gong about 50% of the time when I had a spotter helping me. I am not a great shot, but if the .308 is capable of that kind of accuracy at 1km, then the .30-06 certainly is. I am pretty sure there are skilled shooters at Camp Perry who have used Springfields, M1 Garands & M1A's and can hit targets at distances between 600 to 1000 yards.

More doable with a BLR than a number of other rifles, if just speaking on the rifle's capability not bringing in outside factors.

The BLR is essentially a bolt action rifle with regards to how the bolt locks up, and are the equal to many bolt actions with regards to accuracy from what I
have read.

I have shot a M1A which had an inexpensive 2-7x Redfield hunting scope, and at 1km I was able to hit an 18" steel gong about 50% of the time when I had a spotter helping me. I am not a great shot, but if the .308 is capable of that kind of accuracy at 1km, then the .30-06 certainly is. I am pretty sure there are skilled shooters at Camp Perry who have used Springfields, M1 Garands & M1A's and can hit targets at distances between 600 to 1000 yards.
But .30-06 has a longer action and will flex more. :rolleyes:

You're rolling the dice on factory loads if you're looking for precision at distance. The action probably isn't the best choice but shoot what ya got.

Find a high ballistic coefficient bullet (I load the 178 eldx in my brother's.30-06) and work up custom loads. I use Hunter powder. Measure the muzzle velocity and get a ballistic calculator that tells you the drop at distance. Spend money on a scope that lets you dial to the distance. I've have great success with CDS scopes from Leupold. Then shoot a lot. Compare the ballistic calculator to actual point of impact and adjust your chart. Then shoot a lot.

P

I have shot a M1 30/06 out to 600 yards several times. It was at a match with target pullers scoring targets.
My highest score at 600 yards was a 97 (out of 100) don't remember the X count. Toyed with the Idea of
going out to 1000 yards but never did. In order to shoot out to 1000 yards you want your bullet to be
supersonic all the way to 1000 yards. When the bullet goes sub sonic it tumbles and any hope of accuracy
is gone. The 175 SMK needs a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps to reach 1000 yards supersonic. This is a very
hot load in a 308 win caliber. At TCGC matches you can shoot at electronic targets at 600 yards. I have been
there when some hunters showed up to test there hunting rifles at 600 yards. From the bench or prone. TCGC
shot marker system reads the bullet velocity at the target! Stretch out past 600 yards I think you are looking
at handloads. Good luck have fun. Picture of 'F' class shooter alongside of a iron sight AR-15 at 600 yards.
1656938794316.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top