JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check statistics from the battle of Gettysburg, 8 pound cannon balls work well. No velocity to speak of (400-600 fps iirc), no hollow points, mass rules. Biggest reason I stick with 15 rounds of 45 caliber 230 grain fmj ammo. If I could get heavier affordable bullets, I would.
The 125 grain jacketed hollow point out of a four inch barrel .357 magnum is/was conceded as being the best stopper. A +P+ 9mm comes quite close to approximating that performance, on paper and in the field.
Go peddle your wares elsewhere, and good luck with them cannonballs.

Sigh.. 45 ball leaves a 36 caliber permanent wound channel, a 357 / 125 Gr JHP blows a massive permanent and temporary wound channel by comparison

I am as happy with a 9 as anything else. A hole is a hole is a hole. There aint much size difference really. My plan is just keep shooting till they fall down. Whether using a. 22 or. 30-378. I honestly dont believe its gonna matter much at normal handgun velocity. A. 357 almost goes fast enough to make a real difference. Almost.

I wonder if there's more Hi-Powers on the planet right now or Glocks. Not so long ago, I think it was like eighty countries used it as their military sidearm.
Who really cares though.. if I saw a Glock lying in the ditch, I'd say "hmm, that's proper". lol

I get a good laugh at people who knock the 9MM. I gained the handle "Machine Gun" at an indoor range in cali long ago for the rate of accurate fire I could lay down with a BHP. No one in their right mind would want to stand in front of that, especially with my Sierra Power Jacket HP handloads

yeah, my neighbor when I was in my 20's got in a shoot out with a guy who was abusing his woman. He entered the house and the abuser shot him with a 9mm FMJ and it did deflect off his knee because of the angled shot and fmj profile......he shot the guy in the hip with a 7mm mag and the guy died after bleeding out on the floor.......he thought he was invincible after that and talked shat about 9mm till I begged him to let me have a shot. They found him 4 years later dead from suicide.....he shot himself in the head with one single 22lr. I also had my best buddy die from a 22lr when I was 19.....so yeah caliber pissing contests when it comes to stopping humans is stupid.

I get a good laugh at people who knock the 9MM. I gained the handle "Machine Gun" at an indoor range in cali long ago for the rate of accurate fire I could lay down with a BHP. No one in their right mind would want to stand in front of that, especially with my Sierra Power Jacket HP handloads
I'm right there with you, brother. I've flattened the primers on many thousands of old hollow point 88's-115's back in the day.. if you understand my meaning.. all out of Hi-Powers.
Only now has really viable factory loads become common and with common knowledge of their utility/viability.. back in the olden times, you had to handload or pay a crazy mint for Super Vel's, BAT ammo etc. etc. though many (Rem, Win, Fed) standard pressure HP's actually worked quite well on game etc.
For targets and most all game I'll just use a cast 105-150 grain SWC. They work very well and the heavier will generally wind up making a very effective wound as it's about an inch long and tracks sideways when it hits, penetrating very deep when loaded "warm". The 105 is no slouch at all either and is superbly accurate and miserly on lead. It makes a wound much larger than its diameter due to the sharp shoulder and speed. They both cut perfect cookie cutter holes in paper, too.
anyway, I know I digress
Carry on

Check statistics from the battle of Gettysburg, 8 pound cannon balls work well. No velocity to speak of (400-600 fps iirc), no hollow points, mass rules. Biggest reason I stick with 15 rounds of 45 caliber 230 grain fmj ammo. If I could get heavier affordable bullets, I would.

Why don't you run 10mm then ?200 grains with more energy and velocity at 100 yards then your beloved 45 has at the muzzle.....

Time for a vintage Hi Power pic:

IMGP1844_zpsc52e282f.jpg

Sadly, I don't have this one anymore.

BTW I've carried 45 ACP 1911s on the street for over 15 years and still own two of them + an AR15 .45. Great caliber but 9MM can also get the job done and .357 magnum even better

I still have 5 BHPs and a Detective slide conversion and likely will never sell them

Why don't you run 10mm then ?200 grains with more energy and velocity at 100 yards then your beloved 45 has at the muzzle.....

All the decent ones are pretty pricey, or I would.

my real point is, the 45 is a bone crusher, not easily deflected, and doesn't depend on debatable bullet performance to be effective.

When the ballistic gelatin zombies attack I'll be screwed:s0112:

For the Browning HP fans out there............

It started with this blued one in 2013.

004.jpg

Actually, it was a package deal with this one by FEG. So, why not?

005.jpg
Yes, General Patton...I heard.

I got bit by the bug and added this BHP MkIII that I found at a gun show in Centralia, WA.

BHPMkIII001.jpg

Aloha, Mark

...........caliber pissing contests when it comes to stopping humans is stupid.

I don't usually weigh in on "the caliber debate" because the above says it all. The subject is usually taken over by those who are trying to compensate for shortcomings in their life. However, "stopping power", "knockdown power" or whatever you want to call it always gets trumped by three things.

Shot placement
Shot placement
Shot placement

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR