Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Browning Hi Power jamming - ideas?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Ballistic, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

I’m having problems with my used Browning Hi-Power clone (Israeli). Every 5-10 shots, the gun jams. The slide does not advance because the expended cartridge did not eject completely and the next round jams up again the cartridge. This holds the slide open.

To clear it, I release the magazine which lets the slide go forward. Insert the magazine and rack the slide. The spent shell ejects and I’m good to go for another few rounds until it happens again.

I tried a few different brands of ammo; they all did the same thing. The bore and chamber are mirror bright. The spent shell show no deformation and no scratches. The extractor looks normal; no obvious damage or unusual marks.

What could be the problem? Where else should I look?

2. ProGunGuy

ProGunGuy Seattle New Member

recoil spring could be bad. what kind of ammo did you try in it?? those things need healthy ammo to work right

3. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

Make sure the mag is seating all the way in try different mags also if you have them

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

I had this exact problem on on one of my hi power's just a few weeks ago, actually this is somewhat of a common problem with hi powers. I would bet you a shinny new quarter that a new extractor and extractornspring will solve your problem.

Andy

5. Ballistic

I was using standard 115gr ammo by Speer (Lawman) and 115 by Sellier & Bellot and some 115 reloads.

6. Ballistic

I thought of this. Did you do change out the extractor yourself? Was it difficult?

7. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

its broken - I'll take it off your hands for $50 and try to fix it up :bluelaugh:

On a more serious note - I'd guess the extractor and some new springs would fix it up.

8. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

Yes I swapped it out my self, it's a very simple procedure.
    Pm me if you need the specifics.

Andy

9. 4NONISSUE

4NONISSUE south sound Member

Common problem, correct cure

10. freddyboomboom

freddyboomboom Hillsboro Member

You may just need to clean under the extractor.

That's all I needed to do with mine for this issue.

11. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi Ballistic,
    Well, Take out the Extractor Clean it. Put it back in the side. Try taking a loaded round and put it under the extractor next to the bolt face of the side. Next wave the side around and see if the round fall off the extractor. If it fall off you need to fit the extractor. PM me if you need more help.

Tony Portland, Oregon Area
    If you in my area stop by and I will look at it for you.