JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Currently received a new to me, Browning BPS. It was manufactured around 1980. I dissembled and cleaned it prior to shooting. After about 20 rounds it would fail to properly eject the spent shells. the slide would stick and took extreme force to operate it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

you should probably take it back apart use white lithium grease on the slides watch a U tube video and reassemble . its been a while since i worked on one but if i recall it can be reassembled incorrectly to cause this problem

I've been shooting a BPS for about 20 years and the only time i had this issue was with a few reloads. Are you using factory or properly sized shells? I loaded up some range pick-up 20ga hulls and did not size the brass. The froze the gun up and the extractor actually tore the rim off the shell when i tried to eject it.
Tips for reassembly: Don't push the shell latches in too far. Hold the receiver tilted to one side and retain the other shell latch with a scribe or hard wire while you roll in the trigger group. The trigger group pin (front of TG) is cut on one side and round on the other. This pin can/will rotate when out of the gun but will only fit and work right one way. Lastly never pull the trigger while the trigger group is in half way don't ask how i know this.. The breakdown will get easer with experience and ware. Take your time and walk away before you start forcing stuff and you will fine. I only pull the bolt after duck season or if i get it salty or very muddy. My 20 and 12 have been very dependable over the years and put alot of birds in the pot.

That's what was interesting. It seemed to cycle my reloads with resized brass just fine. It was the store bought 2 3/4" shells that jammed up. Again it wasn't until after about 25 to 30 rounds fired that it started to malfunction.

After multiple you tube videos and an extra set of hands I'm fairly certain it was put together correctly. But it wouldn't hurt to check. Was thinking of taking it into LL Guns or Brightwater and maybe have them look at it..