JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
SOLD*****SOLD*****SOLD!
None other available nationwide that I can find, Brand New, in the Box. Browning B78 Single Shot Rifle, Caliber .45-70 Government. 24" Octagon Barrel (by McGowen as supplied to Browning at time of manufacture). 3-digit serial number, first year of manufacture. Straight Grip (checkered, as is the Schnabel forearm). Curved steel buttplate (representative of the Winchester High Wall that it commemorates). Buckhorn rear sight, Blade front, drilled and tapped for scope.

Wood in the buttstock is strikingly striped fiddle-back burl, simply to die for. Forearm wood is a precise match, but straight-grained as it should be for accuracy. Bluing is none other than the deep luster that is the Browning signature.

Gun comes with factory box (showing storage wear only for 30 plus years), factory trigger-adjustment allen wrench and Owner's Manual, Pachmayr low-profile sling swivels. This was Browning's first venture into replicating the old Winchesters, and they knew they had to have it right. Their success with this gun led to replications of nearly all the old Winchester models, all of unparalelled quality and finish.

Extras: I will include a set of Browning base mounts and rings (slightly used, but servicable), for the shooter that might choose optics for this gun. (This was the one caliber that was not factory supplied with them.)
I will also include bullets of appropriate assignment in lead (Laser-Cast), and jacketed (Remington), in an amount that the buyer may find difficulty carrying to his car with the gun.

I bought this gun in 1985 from a Browning Collector, intending it to be my blackpowder long-range single-shot rifle. Since that time, I have a couple Shiloh guns, so this gun never got shot.

Your chance to own a gun over 30 years old, but brand new, representative of perhaps the finest Winchester over 130 years old. No finer quality in any gun offered on the American market. This action is considered "very strong" in the load books for .45-70, and so a handloader with this rifle can take the .45-70 cartridge to its limits; ably challenging just beneath a .458 Winchester Magnum.

Standard Catalog of Firearms flags this model as a "Sleeper", designating rapidly rising values and increased collector interest. Used B78's in decent condition in the conventional calibers regularly sell for $1200 or more.

$1500 or Best Offer.

Last Edited:
Still a virgin, still sweet smelling as a spring daisy, and a knockout on your arm when you show the boys. Be a man. Take her to her first dance.

I dont know, I kinda like the ugly ones that have been around the block a couple times.... They are cheaper and you know what to expect. There has to be a your momma joke here somewhere.:cool:

By the way, Nicest gun on the site!

It's an in between gun. Barrels to short for completion, and the round is not popular for hunting these days.
Safe queen.
Nice gun. I would buy, but the price is to high for true value.

It's an in between gun. Barrels to short for completion, and the round is not popular for hunting these days.
Safe queen.

1) I would assume you meant "competition". There are a fair number of BPCR competitors who are very happy (and win) with 24" barrels.

2) There are a great many hunters who know and appreciate the versatility and power of the .45-70 "these days". It is undoubtedly far more popular in the hunting field today than it ever was before.

3) The asking price is quite fair (and somewhat negotiable of course). 2012 Standard Catalog shows new in the box value at 1265. My asking price reflects real-market assignments, based on two factors: Pristine (used) condition B78's in conventional calibers (other than .45-70), show up at gun shows to amounts of $1200: They are more desirable (and a better finished gun) than the 1885's. Secondly, this is the only new one available to my knowledge and research in the USA. The extras I include (scope mounts, bullets) would add up (retail) to over $100.

4) "I would buy, but the price is to high for true value" At this point it would be entirely appropriate for me to suggest you put your money where your mouth is, and make a "true value" fair offer.

While I encourage and look forward to any critique of any gun I offer for sale on this website (unlike others who are more sensitive to such), I would politely ask that a bit of reasearch and stated background be presented with such critique. Thank you for your interest. I hope you may demonstrate that it was genuine.

Safe queen.

I bought a NIB B78 exactly the same as this one 4 or 5 years ago for right in the ballpark of the asking price of this rifle (minus the rings and bullets), so what Spitpatch is asking is more than reasonable for a person who has an eye for quality/beauty and butter smooth all over.

As far as the 45/70 not being popular?

I am pretty sure I have yet to be in a gunshop or a place selling bullets that isn't stocking 45/70. That's a good indication that folk are still shooting/using/hunting with this round.

I also have noted that just about every manufacturer out there has a model out there in 45/70. If they weren't selling, then I'm pretty sure any manufacturer that wanted to stay in business would have quit chambering for it.

What I personally believe is that the current trend towards "tacticool" black rifles has blinded some folks into thinking that the wood/blued/classic (classic chambered) hunting rifle is a thing of the past (simular to those trendy years of short-fat casings that were dominating the market for awhile).

The current trend, just like those of the past will move off to the way-side and a rifle like this one will command a premium well beyond what is being asked here.

Free bump for a beautiful rifle.

Fallingblock

No 30-round clip, no flash surpressor. Maybe this is the gun Obama talks about when he reassures us "nobody's coming to take all your guns away". Be the first on your block to own the last gun he'll come for.

Wait a minute: It DOES have a rather evil-looking curved buttplate, and we know schnabel forearms are only for one purpose: killing people.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.