JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
B783.jpg

B784.jpg Browning B78, Single shot .45-70. $1500. New in the box with trigger adjustment allen wrench, instructions. The 24" octagon barrel is by McGowen, as supplied to Browning at time of manufacture. Strikingly figured walnut in the buttstock that is literally to die for. Crescent buttplate (just like the Winchester Hi-Wall that it represents). Straight grip, Checkered grip and forend. Buckhorn sights, drilled and tapped for scope. Bluing is none other than the deep gloss that is the Browning signature.

Standard Catalog of Firearms flags this gun as a "Sleeper", designating rapidly rising values/increasing collector potential.

This action is among the strongest ever for the .45-70. Strength equivalent or better than the Ruger Number One, or the Siamese Mauser. Far exceeds the strength of a Marlin 95, and in my experience the .45-70 can be loaded IN THESE STRONG GUNS ONLY to just under a factory .458 Winchester Magnum load, if you can take your medicine like a man.

None other available new in the box that I can find. Your chance to own something nobody else has; a 30-year old gun brand new, and no better quality.

If you're on the fence about this gem, I can sweeten this deal with a pile of lead and jacketed bullets that will make both your arms tired carrying them away.

B783.jpg

B784.jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks for the interest. As always, reasonable offers are considered.

(50 percent of asking price unfortunately I think falls out of that category.)

This is the rarest version of the '78, unfired and new in the box. Not another to be found. Asking price is right at (or below now) book value.

Prefer cash, but I've been in the market (wishful market) for a while for a quality 20 ga. over/under shotgun. Browning, Winchester, or the like. One of comparable value just might trip my trigger.

Other than that, my tastes run to the older stuff: Winchesters, Colt's, Marlins, etc.

I've had this '78 in my posession for over 20 years. Originally I envisioned it as my "Olden times single-shot Buffalo Rifle". Since then, I have acquired a couple Sharps Rifles, and so this baby never saw a cartridge in its chamber.

If I don't find a buyer, my vision for it now is to install a Leatherwood/Malcom scope on it (replica of a telescopic sight that was "of the period": seen on Sharps rifles and fine Winchesters of the time), and I'm certain that this rifle would be extremely accurate dressed in that uniform. One thing's for sure: you wouldn't bump into anybody else with one.

Recent issue of American Rifleman and the NRA TV show had the Editor hunting in Africa, and taking a Cape Buffalo with an Uberti Replica of the Winchester Hi-wall (.45-70) equipped with a Malcom scope. The gun was featured on the cover too. I would never denigrate the quality of Uberti guns (I own many), but this Browning copy of the Hi-wall is a far better made rifle, I think.

The title of the NRA feature was "Old School Cool". Describes this gun perfectly.

I thought I'd bump this for ya... I bought a NIB (I believe 1982 shipping date) last year for $1400.00 off of Gunbroker.. It's a wonderfully accurate rifle that's very pleasant to shoot. Been watching used ones go (without box) for $1200-1400 since then.

This is a deal that will only appreciate in value..

Thanks, fallingblock.

Guns as a reliable investment is something only a few people on this website are concerned with. This is one of the very few "new manufacture" guns that actually will increase with value, even if used (and cared for). The quality is best, and one simply cannot find an original highwall for a shooter at any reasonable price anymore. Glad you are enjoying yours, and you are right about prices on these: UP,UP,UP!

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top