Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Browning Auto-5 friction pieces

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by disintegratinglinks, Sep 18, 2015.

1. disintegratinglinks

disintegratinglinks Seattle Member

I can't seem to find replacement friction pieces for my Browning Auto-5 Magnum Twelve, 12ga.

Midway USA, Brownells and Midwest Gun Works used to carry the bronze friction pieces and rings for the Magnum. Now it seems all of them are "out of stock" and no backorder. I also checked Gunbroker and Ebay. No friction rings for the magnum guns.

Does anyone know where to find them? Has the world's friction ring supply completely dried up?

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'd call Browning. On the telephone.

disintegratinglinks likes this.
  3. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

Well, production of the Auto 5 shotgun ended 18 years ago. I don't think that many people bought the magnum version, as it was strictly a hunting gun, and could not be used with light loads for target shooting. I also believe that it was only manufactured for something like 25 years.

So there probably was not a big inventory of spare parts for this shotgun to begin with.

Numrich Gun Parts shows the friction ring in stock, but it too shows the friction piece being out of stock.

You may have to retire the shotgun.

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your magnum has the two bronze piece friction rings setup?
    The bronze pieces capped with the steel end rings on both sides.

5. disintegratinglinks

It has the 3 black friction pieces and the two bronze rings.

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would think that since your Magnum has 2 small friction rings instead of the standard model 12 gauge, you could order one large 12 gauge ring from Numrich and have the larger one cut in half on a lath.
    The exact bevel angle could be made as it's being cut in half.
    My guess is that your Magnum has two bronze rings instead of the one large ring like the 12 has, so you can swap the ring configurations around for different power loads.

7. teb

teb Kalama, WA Active Member

8. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

You could also contact Art's gun shop in MO - he is the A5 guru and restoration expert. Retired from Browning iirc.

http://www.artsgunshop.com/

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

10. disintegratinglinks

Wow, sold for $65 just for the rings. And USED! Well, I figured out that you can order parts from Browning directly. Check out their page: http://www.browning.com/customerservice/partsandservice/

Also, Midwest Gun Works should be getting some more parts in within the next month or two, says Geno in customer service.

11. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Wow $65? I have so many of these sets in my stash of spare parts! And jbett98 is spot on, they are pretty easy to make. Takes about 15 minutes!