JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last night I was looking online to buy a high quality tactical scope for long range shooting for my Tikka Tac A1 and I came across Burris Extreme Tactical XTR II 5-25x50 scope on sale at Brownells for $899. Although I was not planning on spending over $700 for a scope, I could not resist and I ordered one. I checked this morning and Brownells still have MIL version of the scope in stock. I ordered a MOA version of the scope, but it seems I purchased the last one left. The same scope is currently selling on Amazon for over $1,200, so $899 for this scope seems a great deal.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
WARNING: The Burris XTR II scope on sale at Brownells is NOT new, but used scope (most likely a return). I just receive the scope and was disappointed. The scope body was dirty and one can see ring marks. Battery is not included. However, if the scope works fine, I will keep it. I am just disappointed that I paid for a new scope and got used one. At the end I did not get a great deal. Thus, I would not advise fellow forum members to buy this scope since you can find used one probably even cheaper than $899 + tax.

WARNING: The Burris XTR II scope on sale at Brownells is NOT new, but used scope (most likely a return). I just receive the scope and was disappointed. The scope body was dirty and one can see ring marks. Battery is not included. However, if the scope works fine, I will keep it. I am just disappointed that I paid for a new scope and got used one. At the end I did not get a great deal. Thus, I would not advise fellow forum members to buy this scope since you can find used one probably even cheaper than $899 + tax.
You should still take pictures and contact Brownell's. They are a legitimate business and unless the ad says it's used or blemished I would contact them. Pictures would be important. What if they would offer to replace it with a brand new one (no scuffs or dust) ?

Either way, keep it or not, make the effort and we'll all find the quality of the company. I like Brownell's, plus the founder of the company puts his name and face on the exchange. Give them a chance to fix it.

Here is a picture I took of the scope. It looked dusty and has ring marks, but I was able to wipe it and bring it to new-like condition. This scope is also supposed to come with lens caps (check 3:12min of this video YouTube:
), but I did not get any caps. On the Brownell's website, this scope was sold as normal item without any indication that it was used or refurbished unit.
The optics is perfect and all mechanical operations seem perfect. I called Burris and they did not help that much. They just offered to return the scope for full refund, so they sent me a return label. The guy on the phone said that is the best they can do. I also paid overnight express shipping $30 and added $3 Brownells shipping insurance, so I asked them to issue me a refund for shipping since FedEx offers money back guaranty for their Express Overnight shippings, but the guy on the phone said that shipping insurance is only if a carrier looses or damages package. Paying this extra shipping insurance is then waste of money since my credit card would give me a full refund anyway if I never receive or get damaged product.

I have enough time to return the scope if I find anything wrong with it. Optics is super clear and illuminated reticle is great (not too busy as many other scopes with "Christmas Tree" reticle). Elevation and windage dials are the best I have ever tried. Parallax focusing is smooth and I could adjust parallax quickly (I just returned a brand new Bushnell Match Pro because I could not adjust its parallax at 200 yards or longer). Eye relief seems very good, but that one is tough to judge until I go to the range this weekend (crossing fingers no rain). If the scope ends up perfectly working (most likely that is the case) I will keep it. At the end of the day, even if the scope was used, now it looks new-like and Burris offers full warranty for years to come. There is one funny error in the scope design. Windage dial is missing alignment mark next to it (small white line to tell you in what position is the windage dial (elevation dial has one). That is not an issue for me. The scope is made in Philippines.
Would I buy again from Brownells? Yes for things like bullets, powder, primers and other items that are not too expensive. However, I would definitely avoind buying anything over $200-$300 from them anymore. I purchased many things from them in the last year and this is the first time I had an issue. I also buy a lot from Midway USA and I had an issue with one of the orders and their customer service was much better. I was surprised that the guy who talked to me was not that familiar about products they are selling (often he was saying "hold on, let me ask someone").

20220119_123103.jpg

I went to the range today and the scope Burris XTR II that Brownells sent me is defective, so I am sending it back for refund. First, they mailed me used scope (I paid for a new scope), and then it turns out parallax is defective. It seems that optics inside is moving. After every shot, the parallax starts moving and one has to wait for a couple of minutes for Parallax to stabilize. I had 3 other people at the range look through the scope, and they saw the same problem. The rings are all tight and properly torqued, so the scope must be defective. I am done buying scopes online. I just came back from Outdoor Emporium and got new Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x50 scope. At least if I get a defective scope from Outdoor Emporium, I can just walk into the store and have the scope replaced.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top