JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...and? 44 magnum beats 10mm in virtually every category other than capacity.

Many different opinions not all based on same scenario makes for a convoluted thread. My choices of firearms or other measures may change depending on the situation. Am I hunting or just hiking, am I actually hunting or just scouting, what am I hunting for, is it black bear country or grizz also, is it gentle terrain or is it butt kicking steep, is it brushy and thick or more open, am I responsible for more than just myself, are others in the party experienced and or capable ? Too many variables for a one size fits all solution.

Many different opinions not all based on same scenario makes for a convoluted thread. My choices of firearms or other measures may change depending on the situation. Am I hunting or just hiking, am I actually hunting or just scouting, what am I hunting for, is it black bear country or grizz also, is it gentle terrain or is it butt kicking steep, is it brushy and thick or more open, am I responsible for more than just myself, are others in the party experienced and or capable ? Too many variables for a one size fits all solution.
And this is why people continue to discuss fighting bears with pistols, they are pretty convenient packages that fit almost all scenarios. Not that anyone actually wants to fight a bear with a pistol but a rifle is certainly not convenient on a hiking trip.

And this is why people continue to discuss fighting bears with pistols, they are pretty convenient packages that fit almost all scenarios. Not that anyone actually wants to fight a bear with a pistol but a rifle is certainly not convenient on a hiking trip.
That said, when I was hiking the Kenai (with a DW .44 mag and Barnes 300 gr. JSPs loaded hot), I ran into two park rangers on the trail - a man & woman. They were looking for an overdue hiker. The guy had a bolt action rifle with a large hole in the end of the barrel. I am sure he wasn't hunting for game, but rather was prepared for the worst case scenario.

For me, a handgun is what you carry when a rifle is not convenient - as you say.

When it comes to 5" to 8" revolvers, I would rather have the .460 Mag
That's at the top of my "want" list, for sure. Especially love the option to shoot .454 casul and .45lc. You have to admit though, a .45-70 revolver/ lever gun combo would be pretty fun.

That's at the top of my "want" list, for sure. Especially love the option to shoot .454 casul and .45lc. You have to admit though, a .45-70 revolver/ lever gun combo would be pretty fun.
If you have the $$$$ then you can get a lever gun in .460 Mag

I would love one, but I already have a Marlin carbine in .45-70 and I sold/traded my 460V and got a 325TR instead. I feel my 329PD or my 327/TRR8 is adequate for black bears with the right ammo. No brown bears here.

...and? 44 magnum beats 10mm in virtually every category other than capacity.
I lived on the kenai penn. and remote western Alaska and they have a saying for the .44mag in brown bear country, you should always file the front sight off real smooth if you gonna carry one…..

The bear was stopped without injury to the hunters, so I disagree with those making the general statement that handguns are not adequate for close-range bear defense. The .45 ACP with hollow points? Yeah, that was a bad choice! But the 10mm and large bore, magnum-caliber revolvers are not. Sure, they should have brought their rifles, but you'll only get one round off on a charging bear from a bolt gun, and if it isn't effective, then what?

Carry your powerful, large-bore handgun for bear defense if that's your choice, but make sure it's loaded with proper rounds and that you're good with it!

The above video doesn't take into account a 250 ft./min. heart rate and your adrenal glands opened 120% both these things affect your shooting abilities

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top