JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Handguns on big bears:

Dude arrives for his guided hunt in the back country and anxious about bears, has brought along his large caliber handgun. Seeking affirmation from his guide, he shows him the shiny new piece.

Guide is saddling the Dude's horse, glances politely over his shoulder at the weapon and offers advice: "Purty nice, but ya prob'ly otta file off that front sight."

Grateful for the pointer, the Dude makes a logical assumption: "Oh, yeah! So it comes out of the holster quicker with no snags, right?"

"Nope", says the Guide. "So when the bear takes it away from ya and crams it up yer azz, it don't hurt so much."

Handguns on big bears:

Dude arrives for his guided hunt in the back country and anxious about bears, has brought along his large caliber handgun. Seeking affirmation from his guide, he shows him the shiny new piece.

Guide is saddling the Dude's horse, glances politely over his shoulder at the weapon and offers advice: "Purty nice, but ya prob'ly otta file off that front sight."

Grateful for the pointer, the Dude makes a logical assumption: "Oh, yeah! So it comes out of the holster quicker with no snags, right?"

"Nope", says the Guide. "So when the bear takes it away from ya and crams it up yer azz, it don't hurt so much."
Shirley Temple Giggle GIF

I don't understand people and their desire to fight bears with pistols here in the US. It's plain stupid. You don't see professional hunters in Africa recommending a pistol to stop a buffalo, lion, elephant, or anything that will kill you. No, they use rifles that penetrate. But not here in America where we seem to try and use the smallest thing possible for everything.
That was the part that got me too. Why leave rifles behind? :confused:
I mean you have to know you are in a part of the country that is well known to have the large Browns, so pack a pistol and leave the rifles. :confused:

Well, there is a minimum of 80 million idiots, just in this country, and very few of them are willing to do any sort of research. They are usually basing that recommendation off of the ramblings of uneducated masses. 10mm is by far my favorite caliber, but it's definitely not a magnum, nor is it anywhere close to being as powerful as a rifle. The only argument against that(and one I see often) is that when you add up the total energy available with the standard 15 round capacity, it is the most powerful semi-auto handgun available.
It's advantage over .45 ACP is better sectional density, but my takeaway from the story is that ammo choice and placement count for more than small differences in ballistics. I have always said that penetration and some ability to break thru bones and muscle, when defending against a charging bear, are needed.

If I were in their position, I would have asked that at least one of the searching hunters had brought along a rifle, and I would have something like .460 Rowland on a G21/G20 - it is pretty close to .44 mag power and 13 rounds is better than six.

I have a .44 mag revolver and 300gr bear loads, but the 329PD is only six shots. I would carry that if the choice was carry a gun or not (e.g., camping or hiking), but if hunting in well known brown bear territory, I would want more ammo capacity.

A have been hunting in grizz habitat in Ak, ID, MT and Wy for the last 30 years. Early on I packed a 44mag along with my rifle. After several years I decided it was not necessary to pack a pistol. Over the last 15 years the bear activity has ramped up and we had a couple situations that had me reconsidering. I looked into bear spray and pistol options. After some trial and error I now keep a 10mm on my hip with hot loaded 200gr wide meplat hardcast. When in the field my rifle is never more than a couple steps away, if not on my person. I find a bipod is very handy to keep a rifle in position on the ground ready to go if you have to set it down.We also try and get at least one other person onsite when an animal is shot but usually 2 others. As in navigating in some of our cities these days, situational awareness is your #1 asset. Having adequate tools and being proficient with them is also very important. I also wear my brown pants 😳.

Clearly if they only had something in 10mm, they would have blown both lungs out of the bear.

It's advantage over .45 ACP is better sectional density, but my takeaway from the story is that ammo choice and placement count for more than small differences in ballistics. I have always said that penetration and some ability to break thru bones and muscle, when defending against a charging bear, are needed.

If I were in their position, I would have asked that at least one of the searching hunters had brought along a rifle, and I would have something like .460 Rowland on a G21/G20 - it is pretty close to .44 mag power and 13 rounds is better than six.

I have a .44 mag revolver and 300gr bear loads, but the 329PD is only six shots. I would carry that if the choice was carry a gun or not (e.g., camping or hiking), but if hunting in well known brown bear territory, I would want more ammo capacity.
Thing is you may only have the opportunity to torch off one or two rounds, making that higher capacity a moot point. The main reason for me choosing a G20 was familiarity, manual of arms thing since I carry Glocks. I switched back to 44 mag for the power level.

Also, while one can argue the .460 Rowland is close the 44, that may true of the standard 180-240 grain factory rounds but it is not true of stuff like the 330 grain Hardcast Hammerheads at 1400fps and the like, which it what I would be using in brown bear country.

The presentation done by the ammo company (purporting that handgun defense against a bear is largely "successful"), stacks the deck in that it only measures those incidents where the handgun was actually deployed, and does not take into account those encounters with more favorable outcomes for both the people and the bears. (Truly the "successful" outcome). Everybody should walk away and go about their business. (Not only with their physical safety intact, but for the human the avoidance of a potentially very serious legal hassle.)

It is settled science now with an avalanche of statistics regarding ALL bear/human confrontations that Bear Spray is far more effective toward making a bear cease unfavorable behavior than a handgun,

Probably a good idea to have a weapon. Probably a better idea to also have some cheap insurance in chemical warfare.

Last Edited:
I agree a rifle or shotgun would be better in grizzly country. I pack a sw460 performance center while fishing in Alaska. I feel confident it'll do the job, if not my father in law is slower than me!

The presentation done by the ammo company (purporting that handgun defense against a bear is largely "successful"), stacks the deck in that it only measures those incidents where the handgun was actually deployed, and does not take into account those encounters with more favorable outcomes for both he people and the bears. (Truly the "successful" outcome). Everybody should walk away and go about their business. (Not only with their physical safety intact, but for the human the avoidance of a potentially very serious legal hassle.)

It is settled science now with an avalanche of statistics regarding ALL bear/human confrontations that Bear Spray is far more effective toward making a bear cease unfavorable behavior than a handgun,

Probably a good idea to have a weapon. Probably a better idea to also have some cheap insurance in chemical warfare.
Even better idea is to ALSO have a couple buddies (who presence that you can take or leave) that run slower than you, too!

Shoulda had a 454 Casull!

Say it with me... Fo-fitty-fo Casool!

Two shots and be done with it. Well worth a broken wrist.
Or the 460V I used to have.

The issue is, that thing was a beast to carry at 5 pounds. Not as heavy as most rifles but a Rossi 92 in .44 mag is about 6 pounds and the velocity from a rifle would be advantageous, plus 8 rounds vs. 6 rounds.

of course ammoland will be biased in favor of guns. Ive also read other studies that showed bear spray was equally effective but had less physical injuries to the person.
If I was recreating in grizzly country Id favor spray with a handgun as a backup. After killing a black bear with a rifle the last thing Id want to do is shoot any bear with a pistol, regardless of caliber. At close range under stress of a charge your going to have a physical fight on your hands....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top