JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was able to obtain a Sako rifle in trade from a member here, and I am quite excited about it.

It's a L579 Deluxe in .243, by all accounts this should be a quality rifle and judging from the action and fitment I would say so as well. I can't wait to start loading for it, as I have already picked up a pound of H4350 and some 85gn Nosler Partitions

D66E9564-748C-41DF-B6DA-5674E19E526B.jpeg

You wrote 'by all accounts this should be a quality rifle'.

It's like saying 'by all accounts this should be a quality car' when talking about Rolls-Royce.

hahaha you got me there, I guess it's due to the fact I've never actually held or examined one before now. I simply had no basis of comparison.

however I've always heard of them held in high regard. The terms "buttery smooth""Tack driver" are usually what I hear when they're discussed. So far it seems it live up to the hype.

I got behind pal Trefor's brand-new OOTB SAKO TX-something last Sunday, and using factory ammunition, put five of his cheap Federal bullets into a single hole measuring just over 1/4" at 100m.

It impressed me, but then, I've also been to Riihimaki to see them made - THAT was impressive, to say the least.

Beautiful rifle. The Finn's have been building accurate rifles for a long time. Now just make sure you pronounce Sako correctly. It is pronounced Socko not like Seiko the watch. Enjoy

I got a Sako L579 ar the Portland gun show long ago, in .308. It was a bit beat up and the stock was loose, but I kept working on it and cleaned it up and bedded the action. One of my favorite guns, reeks class, even with the honest wear. I used to have a Leupold 4x compact scope on it (quick release rings) but most of the time I just use the peep sight. I had a stock Sako rear peep, but it got lost somewhere, in one of my moves. :( Then I got another from XS sights (sadly, no longer in their catalog) that I like as well. A very nice, light, handy rifle with the irons.

I got a Sako L579 ar the Portland gun show long ago, in .308. It was a bit beat up and the stock was loose, but I kept working on it and cleaned it up and bedded the action. One of my favorite guns, reeks class, even with the honest wear. I used to have a Leupold 4x compact scope on it (quick release rings) but most of the time I just use the peep sight. I had a stock Sako rear peep, but it got lost somewhere, in one of my moves. :( Then I got another from XS sights (sadly, no longer in their catalog) that I like as well. A very nice, light, handy rifle with the irons.

Sounds like you have a fantastic rifle as well! I've never done any sort of accurizing Of a rifle before, so I'm probably going to try to keep it as it is for now and if it needs to be done I would send it to a smith...this is definitely one of those rifles I wouldn't want to learn on :D!

I'm still waiting to be able to go shoot the thing :mad::( I've still gotta load a couple ladders up so I guess there isn't a rush.

I had been toying around with the thought of going to irons, but this will be a shared rifle for me and my lady and her eyesight isnt that great (And mine isn't going to be getting better as I age) so I'm probably keeping the optic for now.

Sounds like you have a fantastic rifle as well! I've never done any sort of accurizing Of a rifle before, so I'm probably going to try to keep it as it is for now and if it needs to be done I would send it to a smith...this is definitely one of those rifles I wouldn't want to learn on :D!

I'm still waiting to be able to go shoot the thing :mad::( I've still gotta load a couple ladders up so I guess there isn't a rush.

I had been toying around with the thought of going to irons, but this will be a shared rifle for me and my lady and her eyesight isnt that great (And mine isn't going to be getting better as I age) so I'm probably keeping the optic for now.

Sir, you are wasting your money trying to accurise a SAKO sporting rifle, unless you are aiming to shoot something that measures less than 3/4" with factory ammunition. I watched ten sporting rifles like yours being tested, and they all made five-shot groups of 3/4" or less with Norma factory ammunition.

SAKO's are one of the finest rifles made. You made a great choice. I have six SAKO's, a Finnbear L61R 30-06, Finnbear L61R 270 WIN, both PRE-GARCIA, a Finnbear AV Deluxe 7MM REM MAG, 85M Bavarian 30-06, Vixen 223, and another 85M Hunter chambered in 308. I have shot all of them except the 270, and being 60 plus these rifles can easily outshoot me but I can still put 3 inch groups off-hand at over a hundred yards. Enjoy your SAKO, if you you want to get rid of it pretty sure I could find room for one more.

Sir, you are wasting your money trying to accurise a SAKO sporting rifle, unless you are aiming to shoot something that measures less than 3/4" with factory ammunition. I watched ten sporting rifles like yours being tested, and they all made five-shot groups of 3/4" or less with Norma factory ammunition.

That was my initial thought as well, but I have seen it mentioned a couple times that folks bed the actions on these. Which is something that I would have professionally done only if it needs it.

I would prefer to leave it exactly how it is, and as long as it can group 2" at 100 with hand loads off bag and a bipod it's accurate enough for my skill level.....I'm not exactly a sharp shooter! :D

I'm still anxiously awaiting a chance to take it out and see how she does.....it's worse than Christmas as a kid.

Be warned......the pure elegance of older Sako's can be very addictive. I have a personal affinity for the L461 short actions in .222 and .222 Mag but also own a L579 single shot .22-250 and a L61R 30-06. All five in current inventory are fine shooters or they wouldn't have stuck around.

P9181985.JPG
PB213473.JPG P5270043.JPG L461-222.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews