JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was able to obtain a Sako rifle in trade from a member here, and I am quite excited about it.

It's a L579 Deluxe in .243, by all accounts this should be a quality rifle and judging from the action and fitment I would say so as well. I can't wait to start loading for it, as I have already picked up a pound of H4350 and some 85gn Nosler Partitions

D66E9564-748C-41DF-B6DA-5674E19E526B.jpeg

You wrote 'by all accounts this should be a quality rifle'.

It's like saying 'by all accounts this should be a quality car' when talking about Rolls-Royce.

hahaha you got me there, I guess it's due to the fact I've never actually held or examined one before now. I simply had no basis of comparison.

however I've always heard of them held in high regard. The terms "buttery smooth""Tack driver" are usually what I hear when they're discussed. So far it seems it live up to the hype.

I got behind pal Trefor's brand-new OOTB SAKO TX-something last Sunday, and using factory ammunition, put five of his cheap Federal bullets into a single hole measuring just over 1/4" at 100m.

It impressed me, but then, I've also been to Riihimaki to see them made - THAT was impressive, to say the least.

Beautiful rifle. The Finn's have been building accurate rifles for a long time. Now just make sure you pronounce Sako correctly. It is pronounced Socko not like Seiko the watch. Enjoy

I got a Sako L579 ar the Portland gun show long ago, in .308. It was a bit beat up and the stock was loose, but I kept working on it and cleaned it up and bedded the action. One of my favorite guns, reeks class, even with the honest wear. I used to have a Leupold 4x compact scope on it (quick release rings) but most of the time I just use the peep sight. I had a stock Sako rear peep, but it got lost somewhere, in one of my moves. :( Then I got another from XS sights (sadly, no longer in their catalog) that I like as well. A very nice, light, handy rifle with the irons.

I got a Sako L579 ar the Portland gun show long ago, in .308. It was a bit beat up and the stock was loose, but I kept working on it and cleaned it up and bedded the action. One of my favorite guns, reeks class, even with the honest wear. I used to have a Leupold 4x compact scope on it (quick release rings) but most of the time I just use the peep sight. I had a stock Sako rear peep, but it got lost somewhere, in one of my moves. :( Then I got another from XS sights (sadly, no longer in their catalog) that I like as well. A very nice, light, handy rifle with the irons.

Sounds like you have a fantastic rifle as well! I've never done any sort of accurizing Of a rifle before, so I'm probably going to try to keep it as it is for now and if it needs to be done I would send it to a smith...this is definitely one of those rifles I wouldn't want to learn on :D!

I'm still waiting to be able to go shoot the thing :mad::( I've still gotta load a couple ladders up so I guess there isn't a rush.

I had been toying around with the thought of going to irons, but this will be a shared rifle for me and my lady and her eyesight isnt that great (And mine isn't going to be getting better as I age) so I'm probably keeping the optic for now.

Sounds like you have a fantastic rifle as well! I've never done any sort of accurizing Of a rifle before, so I'm probably going to try to keep it as it is for now and if it needs to be done I would send it to a smith...this is definitely one of those rifles I wouldn't want to learn on :D!

I'm still waiting to be able to go shoot the thing :mad::( I've still gotta load a couple ladders up so I guess there isn't a rush.

I had been toying around with the thought of going to irons, but this will be a shared rifle for me and my lady and her eyesight isnt that great (And mine isn't going to be getting better as I age) so I'm probably keeping the optic for now.

Sir, you are wasting your money trying to accurise a SAKO sporting rifle, unless you are aiming to shoot something that measures less than 3/4" with factory ammunition. I watched ten sporting rifles like yours being tested, and they all made five-shot groups of 3/4" or less with Norma factory ammunition.

SAKO's are one of the finest rifles made. You made a great choice. I have six SAKO's, a Finnbear L61R 30-06, Finnbear L61R 270 WIN, both PRE-GARCIA, a Finnbear AV Deluxe 7MM REM MAG, 85M Bavarian 30-06, Vixen 223, and another 85M Hunter chambered in 308. I have shot all of them except the 270, and being 60 plus these rifles can easily outshoot me but I can still put 3 inch groups off-hand at over a hundred yards. Enjoy your SAKO, if you you want to get rid of it pretty sure I could find room for one more.

Sir, you are wasting your money trying to accurise a SAKO sporting rifle, unless you are aiming to shoot something that measures less than 3/4" with factory ammunition. I watched ten sporting rifles like yours being tested, and they all made five-shot groups of 3/4" or less with Norma factory ammunition.

That was my initial thought as well, but I have seen it mentioned a couple times that folks bed the actions on these. Which is something that I would have professionally done only if it needs it.

I would prefer to leave it exactly how it is, and as long as it can group 2" at 100 with hand loads off bag and a bipod it's accurate enough for my skill level.....I'm not exactly a sharp shooter! :D

I'm still anxiously awaiting a chance to take it out and see how she does.....it's worse than Christmas as a kid.

Be warned......the pure elegance of older Sako's can be very addictive. I have a personal affinity for the L461 short actions in .222 and .222 Mag but also own a L579 single shot .22-250 and a L61R 30-06. All five in current inventory are fine shooters or they wouldn't have stuck around.

P9181985.JPG
PB213473.JPG P5270043.JPG L461-222.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews