JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title states, my brother is moving from TX to WA, and both he and his wife have a number of potential no-go items for the Evergreen State.

What is the current status for "banned" items? Want to let him know what he either needs sell or leave to leave behind in TX, or with me in ID...mags, AR-style rifles, NFA, semi-auto, etc.

Any likely pending legislation which also adds further restrictions?

As far as what the state law says: No short barreled shotguns, no full auto, no importation of > 10 round magazines unless he possessed those mags inside WA before July 1, 2022.

Don't ask. Don't tell. Problem solved. Even if there was (or wasn't) a problem to begin with.

Of course the NFA items are of a different nature.

Aloha, Mark

PS....this is NOT legal advice. And, I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

LOL. I was reminded of the time when.....
I considered moving from Hawaii to CA.
Thankfully, I never did. Back then, Hawaii was swamped with Ds. And CA is probably even worst now.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....not to mention, the gun laws and taxes. LOL.

Last Edited:
There is good and bad in every state, but what is the reason for the move?

The general rules of thumb for washington are.

If its fun and used to be legal its likely banned.:(
If it makes you feel good and used to be banned its likely legal. :s0145:
If it feels coworkers or children its likely a politician and should be banned.:s0170:

:s0062:

As far as what the state law says: No short barreled shotguns, no full auto, no importation of > 10 round magazines unless he possessed those mags inside WA before July 1, 2022.
I know binary triggers and other trigger devices firing over x rounds per second are banned too. Also aren't automatic knives banned or is it just concealed carry of them?

In addition to carry permit and what user123 stated the laws I would pay most attention to are what you can have or not have in your vehicle. WA is different that way and state patrol are everywhere in WA compared to Oregon where they almost don't exist. So if a stater pulls him over he doesn't want to have the wrong loaded guns in the car Fe.

Last Edited:
I know binary triggers and other trigger devices firing over x rounds per second are banned too. Also aren't automatic knives banned or is it just concealed carry of them?

In addition to carry permit and what user123 stated the laws I would pay most attention to are what you can have or not have in your vehicle. WA is different that way and state patrol are everywhere in WA compared to Oregon where they almost don't exist. So if a stater pulls him over he doesn't want to have the wrong loaded guns in the car Fe.
Auto knifes are a big no no, and blade length and carry method laws for knifes vary by city and county. And as mentioned they do like their traffic stops. More bs stops and citations than all the other states I've resided in combined.

There is good and bad in every state, but what is the reason for the move?
Climate is a good reason for many. Over the next decade, places at Texas' latitude will be getting scorched. That's why real estate in the PNW is a safe investment; lots of people will be fleeing the SW and S for milder temperatures.

2022-07-18.png

Right. I should clarify that my post above was not a 100% comprehensive list of all firearm related laws applicable in WA.

Climate is a good reason for many. Over the next decade, places at Texas' latitude will be getting scorched. That's why real estate in the PNW is a safe investment; lots of people will be fleeing the SW and S for milder temperatures.

View attachment 1242109
I feel you there. Other than not having the infrastructure to provide water to the tens if not hundreds of thousands of new folks coming up here, we at least have the water. Mean while a good friend in Vegas casually shrugs off the fact that lake mead is drastically losing water on a daily basis.

Politics aside, there are lots of great reasons to live here.

I feel you there. Other than not having the infrastructure to provide water to the tens if not hundreds of thousands of new folks coming up here, we at least have the water. Mean while a good friend in Vegas casually shrugs off the fact that lake mead is drastically losing water on a daily basis.

Politics aside, there are lots of great reasons to live here.
I heard Salt Lake City will need to change its name to Salt Flat City sometime in the near future. 😂

Auto knifes are a big no no, and blade length and carry method laws for knifes vary by city and county. And as mentioned they do like their traffic stops. More bs stops and citations than all the other states I've resided in combined.
Agree with you that traffic stops can be quite a shock if u are used to a different state. Much more often than any other state I've lived or visited. One has to adjust their "standard" for how fast they drive etc. I was visiting AZ and if you drive the speed limit you would be holding up traffic big time. In WA one time I got pulled over by a stater for 3 mph over the limit. No ticket thank goodness. I think they use it as an excuse to look for drugs, open alcohol container etc. My personal rule in WA is about 7 mph over is safe, they will usually give you a ticket for 10 mph over. But of course fitting in with the flow of traffic is important too and maybe more important on some roads.

To the OP I would just tell your brother to study the laws about what can be carried in vehicle so that way if he gets pulled over at any random time he will be covered. Just something you don't want to get surprised on. Also I think what is visible vs hidden is important cuz they are not likely to search your vehicle for example if it's just a routine speeding ticket and no signs of anything else going on. All just imo, feel free to ignore.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top