JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I cracked the stock on my Heym SR20 375 H&H today. Is there a good local smith who can fix this? I'm thinking that I'll have the rifle fully bedded and crossbolted, and may have the wrist reinforced as well. There's no stock pieces missing, but it is a pretty big crack.

Couple of pics:

The crack starts near the front checkering and goes through the recoil lug and all the way back to the tang. It's cracked all the way through the wrist.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Here's the top, near the tang,
IMG_0650.jpg

and here's the bottom.
IMG_0649.jpg

It has been my experience that it is better to take work like this to a furniture shop, They spend most or there time working with wood & they generally don't charge as much.

The factory probably should have cross-bolted the rifle from the beginning. But since they didn't and this happened, its a good idea to have it done now. Interesting idea about the furniture shop. I'd be hesitant to do so, however, as they often aren't as familiar with the stresses in a rifle stock as they are with furniture (I've worked both as a gunsmith and furniture maker).

Besides the large cross-bolt in the front recoil lug area, a good stock-maker will probably also install smaller cross-pins in other areas as well to strengthen the repair. If you had access to a drill press and felt like getting ambitious, you might be able to repair this yourself. That being said, if you are the least bit hesitant about doing the job yourself, take it to a pro...

Cool guys, thanks for the info. I'm trying to get ahold of the US distributor first. I'm hoping they will replace the stock. If they won't do it, I may buy a decent blank, epoxy the old stock together, and send the blank and the broken stock to a smith with a duplicator. I really like this stock and it fits me well. Whatever stock I end up with will definitely be fully bedded and crossbolted. I guess that explains how they made a 25 1/2# barreled 375 h&h that came in under seven pounds. I also may try and repair this stock myself once I have a new one. This could make a pretty nice beater stock at some point.

I had a similiar crack through the barrel channel on a Rem 700 for a 30 06. Remington requested that the stock be returned and sent me a brank new stock even though the original stock was old. Great service. Brand new and shinny 700 BDL stock they sent me. Try it you may get a new one as well.

I'm not sure that it will ever be 100% again, even with glass bedding, and crossbolt. Pretty big crack. If it was a hairline in the wrist, that's different. But with a crack that big, first time you touch off the h&h, it might break all over again. I'd contact the mfg, and see if they sell a replacement, or even warranty it.

<broken link removed>

Spendy rifle, to go kaput on ya. Good thing that didn't happen in the middle of a safari.

Good thing that didn't happen in the middle of a safari.

That's why I bought this rifle when I did. The guy I bought it from said it only had three boxes through it total. I ordered another eight boxes, and the stock split after about fifty rounds. I'd much rather work out any issues here at home.

I tried to call Heym USA on Saturday, but their machine said they were closed until Tuesday, so I'll have to wait until then.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top