JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best of luck to the brits. Better get ready to bend over and kiss arse goodby.

I know of what I speak: North America ran out of high grade iron ore (hematite) shortly after WWII. Not long afterwards ore had to be processed to increase the iron content so it was worth shipping (taconite). Hundreds of thousands of jobs were lost in the USofA. Guvmint did nothing!

Bottom line: Environmental issues, labor cost, health care, pensions were more nails in the coffin. In the 1980's a vice president of the company I worked for, told us to find other jobs not related to the USofA steel industry. Manufacturing was going overseas, period!

Not to put all the blame on guvmint; those that have the $$$$$ would rather make billions in China, than only millions in the USofA. High grade ore now comes from Brazil & Australia, mined by Rio Tinto. When I started work, all the company's employees were here in the states. Today, over 3/4ths, work & are from other countries.

Further reading: Carneigi, Frick, & Mellon.

Foreverlost,

Last Edited:
The British steel industry rolled over years ago. What we have here is the INDIAN
steel industry (Tata is from INDIA) cutting back at some overseas (to them) plants.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top