JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow Smoke It, your character judgement is seriously in question, Nick is just about the most knowledgeable, personable and helpful guy I've ever known. Even on a bad day Brightwater has always offered first class service and support, and a first class selection of firearms in every price range.

Mike Earned my respect and my business when AR prices were going way up and every
One was sold out and he had several in stock at his every day low prices.
I ask how his prices were still so low and his answer was (until my distributor raises the price on me I wont raise them on you)
I had just moved up from California and never had I heard any thing like that before.
In California they almost don't even try to hide the fact that they are screwing you
Mike & nick under stand "treat others the way you want to be treated"
Best locally owned gun shop...

Dropped in to inquire about availability of the G21 Gen 4. Two guys working there I'd never seen before. One guy with a bunch of tattoos asked me what I wanted, but couldn't stop himself from texting long enough to even look at me - he seemed like he didn't have a clue what retail customer service was all about. Not the least bit friendly and didn't seem at all like he wanted to help me.

Certainly, I don't go in to any retail store looking for "friendly", BUT "friendly" sure makes an establishment more enjoyable to visit, makes me more likely to visit more often, and makes me more likely to spend money there! People like to buy from people they like, not from disinterested, unfriendly people.

Quite a far cry from Mike's customer service of days long gone now. I left the place feeling like it had really lost something and was a dim shadow of what it once was. You can buy guns all over the place. What makes the difference is the quality of the people you deal with.

Hmmm not what I expected to come home to. Feel free to come in the shop while I am there to further discuss this situation. This complaint does not fall on deaf ears, however I do not believe in airing employee punishment on a public forum. I thought I had left my shop in the proper hands while I took a short vacation, apparently I was mistaken. Thanks to everyone on here that has contacted me regarding this issue.

I worked for over 4 years with Mike before I bought the store from him... and I will tell you that I personally have tried my best to operate my business similar to the way he did... just a little more updated and by the book.

Anyone who has any issues with the shop or would like to talk to me please call me at the shop 360-256-6700 or email me [email protected]

I apologize to everyone on here for even having to address this issue.

Nick Pratka

Nick... sorry if I stirred things up, but honestly, I don't feel your shop was well represented. Perhaps I'm the only one who experienced this type of thing at the shop or it was just a bad time to enter. I certainly get the impression that YOU care about how well your customers are cared for.

As the owner of a retail establishment myself, I know well how important it is to make your customers feel like they are really cared for. I make it a point to give all that I can to my customers and over the years they have rewarded me handsomely for doing so. It's the people in a business that make all the difference... and less-so the product, especially when it's almost a commodity type of product that one can obtain from any number of competitors.

Well, I went to see Nick today, it was the first time I have been in his shop.

My observations:

The shop is a little difficult to find. If you don't know it's there, you'd never find it. The signage is hard to spot due to a tree half covering it and bushes along the parking area hiding it from the street. Which is unfortunate, it's a nice little shop. Nick manages to fit a lot into the area he has.

But the most important thing is the staff. That's what keeps you coming back or chases you away from a business. Nick was in when I was there and I asked for him specifically to strike up a conversation and get a feel for the place. And I will say, I was impressed. He's a younger guy which may bother some of the old timers, but I just crossed that 40 line myself, so I was more then comfortable with his age. Nick was very outgoing and answered all my questions in an up front and friendly manner. Any answers he gave me he backed up with evidence or examples so I felt like he wasn't talking out his a$$. Rather then just give an answer and assume I would believe it just because he said so, he gave good examples and even dumbed down some of it so a newb like me could understand it. The wife even asked some questions (we were going to a movie after Nick's) and he gladly answered them to her satisfaction. Which is impressive, he even has me beat in that department.

The other employee that was in the shop, I did not catch his name. He seemed very knowledgeable the little I heard from him when he was talking to other customers. But he either seemed new or a bit shy. I turned to speak with him twice while Nick was on the phone and he just didn't seemed interested in talking. To me, that's a strong weakness in a sales person. But when what I assumed was a regular came in, he was very chatty with him and seemed to take interest a bit more. So I'm striking it up to him just not being comfortable with strangers. Hoping he warms up a bit over time. The wife did note he had some awesome tattoos.

All in all I would say I had an excellent experience at Brightwater Ventures and without a doubt I would come back to his store. And not just because he's holding a 308 I bought until the darned feds approve my purchase.

It was nice meeting you today Nick and I will be back! :)

Nick has some of the best prices in SW Washington and he has always been helpfull to me and my shooting buddies. Several weeks ago I needed some hard to find big bore handgun ammo and he ordered it for me and I paid less than if I had ordered it from Midway w/ shipping. It is nice to have a locally owned small business gunshop that takes care of it's cutomers.

1st time buyer there a few weeks ago. Picked up g19 gen.4. Guy that sold it to me was very knowledgeable. Been in there a few times now and always get smiles and a little bit of conversation. Very nice selection. I will definitely do biz with them in the future!

Just a heads up to everyone... The shop will now be open on Saturdays from 10-4! Come by and see us. We have a few different specials starting today... Come by for $100 off all Ruger centerfire rifles.

Just a heads up to everyone... The shop will now be open on Saturdays from 10-4! Come by and see us. We have a few different specials starting today... Come by for $100 off all Ruger centerfire rifles.

I came in today and everyone seemed friendly. I'll be back for that xdm if it's still there in a couple weeks. Glad to have you open on the weekends but my wallet isnt't

I took my neighbors to Brightwater to shop for a new pistol. I had suggested they look at the Glock 19 since both (husband and wife) would be shooting it and carrying for self defense. The young man with the tattoos (sorry, I didn't get his name) spent a lot of time with them demonstrating the Glock and answering all their questions. They wanted to check out a couple other places before buying but came back to Brightwater for the purchase based on the help they got there. I've bought several guns from them over the years and will certainly miss Mike, but I think the store is in good hands now.

I took my neighbors to Brightwater to shop for a new pistol. I had suggested they look at the Glock 19 since both (husband and wife) would be shooting it and carrying for self defense. The young man with the tattoos (sorry, I didn't get his name) spent a lot of time with them demonstrating the Glock and answering all their questions. They wanted to check out a couple other places before buying but came back to Brightwater for the purchase based on the help they got there. I've bought several guns from them over the years and will certainly miss Mike, but I think the store is in good hands now.

That's great. Good to see the great customer service.

The guy with tattoos is Jeff.

Props to Brightwater. No I'm not on the payroll, but I had another in a long string of great experiences in this shop today. I have a few holes in my collection to fill and my wish list is long, as I'm sure the rest of you can relate to. So I stopped in the shop not sure what I was looking for, only sure that I was looking for practical, good fits that would add some variety. Nick and Jeff spent alot of time with me between the customers that already knew what they wanted and made sure that I wasn't left twiddling my clumsy thumbs.

Both of these guys are great 'sounding boards', between the two of them a guy can get a real solid grip(no pun) on what he's after. I was in the shop for 2 hours, not because it took that long, but because I spent half the time with my elbow on the counter jawjacking with the other customers that came in for purchases or queries. Maybe Jeff is just trying to feed my ego but he frequently asks about MY opinion, or what my experience has been with a specific caliber, model or manufacturer when he's discussing a firearm with a customer. I like that, and I think the customers do too.

Don't let the tattoos put you off, Jeff's a real shooter with tens of thousands of rounds under his belt. I've shot a few thousand rounds with him myself and learn something every time.

Nick is smarter than your average bear(kinda looks like one). Mind like a steel trap. Ask him and he'll know. If he doesn't know, he won't snow you and he'll find out for you and call you personaly with the 411.

Ended up with two handguns and accessories that I'm pretty excited about. If you haven't been in recently you should check it out, besides the usual great inventory Soteria Leather has a case with some locally handcrafted holsters out front with 'The Gunnery Sgt.'.

Went to pick up a pound of Herco and check on how things were going with swapping out my sights on an old pistol of mine, and ended up walking out with the powder and a new S&W M&P 15-22. Thanks again Brightwater Ventures! I'll be back and not just only for my pistol.

They used to be, before Nick bought it.

Been goin there for three years and they were never open on Saturday, they are now so I guess I dunno what you mean Deen.

If it's a Mike thing, I get it. I've always liked Mike and still enjoy seeing him in his awesome man-cave, he's salt of the earth.

Nick is doing a great job, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. You won't be missed.

I only responded to this because you quoted me... no hard feelings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top