JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before I start this review, I should preface it by mentioning a few things. Firstly, I am no expert in shooting, nor reviewing. Rather, I am a recreational shooter who enjoys well-made material, quality, and craftsmanship. Before I purchase an item, I spend countless hours researching products, surfing through reviews in order to purchase the best possible item. Secondly, I am in no way affiliated with Thor Targets. I simply would like to pass on my experience to others.

My first experience with Thor Targets came from the DPSST Academy in Salem, OR. At the end of my training there, I was given the opportunity to shoot steel targets that happened to be made by Thor Targets. We shot the standard dueling tree as part of a competition. Needless to say, I did not spend much time examining the tree, but had a very good time shooting free ammunition.

Fast forward a few months to present day. I wandered in to a local gun store and low and behold, set up outside the store, there were a variety of steel targets made by Thor Targets. Options included torso targets, gongs, and the familiar dueling tree. I was overwhelmed with choices, but limited by funds on hand. I ended up settling for a steel of a deal (insert nonamused face here). The gun shop had a package deal for sale; one 17.5"x11.5" silhouette steel target, one bracket hanger, one stand base, and one 4' 2x4 for the price of $110. I couldn't resist this enticing offer, so I forked over the cash and left satisfied with my new target.

According to Thor Targets, they use a proprietary blend to create steel stronger than AR500. If I remember correctly, the guys at the shop had named the steel AR558. Of course, names are not as important as function. A product can have the most intriguing name, but if it fails to perform, it is worthless scrap.

I am ashamed to admit that it took weeks for me to get out to the range. For this, I blame adult responsibilities entirely. However, the opportunity to shoot finally presented itself, so I loaded up my truck with target, stand, and a few guns. My hope was to test the target with a variety of calibers, but essentially just shoot the heck out of it. Calibers tested included 9mm, .40, .223, and 7.62x51. Platforms included a Glock 19, Glock 22, Frankenstein AR15, and an M1A Loaded.

I conducted the test at my local gun club amidst the rain and sun that gives Oregon its reputation. Mostly, Oregon was displaying its usual bipolar manner being undecided as to whether it was going to rain or be sunny. I persevered onwards getting soaked and enjoying the sun all the same. So let's move on to my very unscientific tests.

In total, I shot approximately 500 rounds at the plate. 115 rounds of 9mm, 109 rounds of .40, 270 rounds of .223/5.56, and 60 rounds of 7.62x51. I'm not saying I hit the target every time, but I'd say 95% of shots resulted in that satisfying 'ping'. Amusingly enough, I started shooting the target with .223. Unfortunately, my AR was experiencing some failure to fire issues that I associate with light primer strikes stemming from a new trigger, but that is a story for another time. I put 60 rounds on target at 100 yards before moving to the handgun. A quick examination of the target revealed no visible damage. It is clear to me that .223 poses no threat to this 3/8" thick plate.

I alternated between 9mm and .40 shooting 45 rounds of each before switching. Each time, I would check the target for any signs of damage, but found nothing other than standard signs of fragmentation. Ranges varied from 10 yards to roughly 30 yards with standard FMJ ammo. The target was working exactly as intended.

I decided to move back to the AR to address my failure to fire issues and put another 210 rounds down range at approximately 150 yards. I was using standard American Eagle, and it became painfully obvious I would need to step up my game in order to make a dent in this new target. So, out came my baby; my M1A is fairly new and roughly 1 month old. I fed it some Federal M80 ball and some PMC 147gr. I put 58 of 60 on target, packed up, and made my way down range to collect my target.

At first glance, the target seemed unscathed. A quick rattle canning would hide any flaws left from the day of shooting. However, running my fingers over the impact marks, I discovered very slight penetration into the steel. Now granted, the rounds barely left an impact. I'd say, roughly, the 7.62x51 left approximately a 1/32" dent in the steel. Needless to say, this plate can withstand these common calibers for hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds.

After breaking down the stand, I discovered an issue with the design. Hanging the plate on the provided bracket makes for an easily broken down target. However, the plate hangs on the bracket leaving a slight gap where a round could sneak through. I found very quickly that the bracket material appeared to be mild steel. Once I had removed the target, I noticed what appeared to be three holes in the bracket. However, the rounds had not passed all the way through the steel and wood. In fact, I was unable to separate the bracket from the provided 2x4 without a significant amount of force. This was an unanticipated problem, but I do not see it as a large one. Roughly 500 rounds on target and three rounds finding their way into the bracket does not concern me. I would imagine one could purchase another bracket from Thor Targets if need be.

Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase. For $110, I think this is an outstanding choice for those interested in purchasing their first steel target. This is my second steel target, the first being a Champion AR500 8"x8" plate. Overall, I am immensely satisfied with the quality of workmanship that is self evident in this target and stand. Though I did not experience it, the base itself has holes drilled so one may secure it to the ground in order to keep it from falling over under recoil. Thor Targets gives their consumers a very nice product, especially for the price. I would definitely consider them when purchasing more steel targets in the future.

Take a look at the videos, if you so choose. Forgive my horrible video making and narration...

Thor Target.jpg

Good review. Thanks for sharing.

I'm wondering what their proprietary steel means in the practical sense? It is generally speed that kills a steel target. .223/5.56 can be particularly challenging for steel targets as most AR500 steel is rated at 3000 fps and there are plenty of .223/5.56 rounds leaving the muzzle at 3200 fps. I checked their website but couldn't find any info on what they rate their targets at.

That bracket issue, however, would be a deal breaker for me. That bracket didn't look too great after only 500 rounds. They need a solution for that.

ive had that target for a while now and i can say that hanger has taken a lot of hits and not broken. I was worried it was going to break so i called them and i was told that they haven't had one break yet, and offered to send me another which i gracelessly accepted.

Yeah, the bracket situation worries me as well. However, if the welds hold up, i suppose its a moot point. As far as the "proprietary blend," I would like to shoot it with some steel core ammunition or my 30-06 elk rounds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top