JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would appear, from eye witness accounts that the rig with the over sized load was prevented from moving to the center lane (Maximum clearance) by another passing Semi Truck.
Pretty thin excuse.:rolleyes:

The bridge "clearance" isn't, this lane, or that lane. Not a "Liberal" interpretation :s0131:

No one was killed. :s0155:

The bridge can be repaired, but some driver sure has his tail in a crack.:(

Jack...:cool:

When things like this happen it's a good reminder that almost EVERYTHING is transported on trucks across bridges. If 5 or so were destroyed in one day you better have something stocked up to eat and drink at home. Everyone can do it on any budget. Even if you start small, a one or two week supply could make all the difference.

It is a mental thing. People don't want to accept a negative thought - that things could get bad. That is why you see millionaires without even a spare can of tuna fish. Normalcy Bias.

America's Infrastructure most of which was built in the late 1940's through 1960's was only designed, engineered and meant to last 40 -50 yrs, meaning most are past their originally conceived life span.

Aging Infrastructure in the United States - Bridge Collapse - Minnesota 2005 - YouTube

The Crumbling of America - YouTube

America's Failing Infrastructure - YouTube

One more reason to know of alternative routes to McDonald's and Walmart. Shtf, or even a major earthquake, whatever them there brings are bottle necks, is standing they may not be passible.

Here you go daily bridge crossers Coleman Sevylor Two Person Inflatable Boat ? Walmart.com

On channel 6 local news this evening they had the gov. bridge experts list the Portland bridges as to survivablity in a major quake, though no one gave a richter scale rating. Steel bridge and Broadway bridge, probably in the water. Ross Island, Morrison bridges
and Fremont bridge, probably heavily damaged and unusable. The Marquam and Burnside bridges have been retro-fit and are expected to hold up. They didn't say much about the Coloumbia bridges.

Googled the Interstate bridge and there are concerns about liquification and the counter weights in those high towers. I haven't been able to locate info on the Sam Jackson bridge yet.

When things like this happen it's a good reminder that almost EVERYTHING is transported on trucks across bridges. If 5 or so were destroyed in one day you better have something stocked up to eat and drink at home. Everyone can do it on any budget. Even if you start small, a one or two week supply could make all the difference.
Brother lives in Blane and they are having trouble getting some types of food. He is coming south to load up his truck.

So, how long is it taking to detour around (both north and south)? I commute back and forth between BC and OR a couple times a month. Plan on heading south this week so it should be fun.

Some friends and I were looking at the photos of the bridge and the "piece of drilling equipment" on line Saturday.
Now when they said "apiece of ...equipment" I thought of a very dense,heavy tractor or SOLID chunk of equipment,not a freaking shipping container.
(look for the pictures of the truck and load)
This thing had empty,open sides,with only about a foot of re-enforcement at the top.

OK,why do I point out this obvious bit?
Physics say the load should have folded like a box being stepped on.
It was built like a shipping container,not solid steel,more like heavy sheet metal.
It knocked down this bridge? Y'all up north have been driving on a time bomb. I almost want to go see this bridge just to make sure I don't have any like it I drive over.
It is pretty sad that this is what our infrastructure is made up of. Like my neighbor/retired iron worked/Nam vet said,we're too busy wasting money waging war for no good reasons,where we shouldn't be.

These bridges scored 47 out of 100 last year. It would behoove each of us to research the bridges we need on a day to day basis.
To think this won't happen to your bridge could be fatal.

Have a happy commute Tuesday!:s0155::s0162:

how.jpg

how.jpg

Well if I had to cross old dilapidated bridges every day I would be carrying a inexpensive raft that self inflate or had a way of inflating it quickly without power and a life jacket or two, especially if I did not know of a way around it. After this happened even though I do not cross many bridges where I live I started exploring a few roads I am not familiar with just I would have anidea of what is where if shtf

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top