JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Skagit Valley Herald reporter at the scene said a sheriff's office rescue boat has arrived and rescue crews were looking for people in the water.

The reporter saw one person sitting atop one vehicle in the water and could see a second vehicle as well.

Crowds of people lined the river to watch the scene unfold, the newspaper reported.

Read more: <broken link removed>
Follow us: @KitsapSun on Twitter | KitsapNews on Facebook

Yes, it's why I posted the event here. Think how many bridges may collapse during a major earthquake. How will you get around? Traffic problems? Enough fuel?

Peter

The 63/4 quake was major, I experienced it, so the the recent Nisqually quake, not too many bridges were damaged but now this state has a number of bridges in heavy use well beyond their expected life span. So there will be more of these since clearly current inspections aren't catching flaws.

Brutus Out

Can't have a mommy state and replace infrastructure too! If those pesky citizens would just give up those awful vehicles (and firearms too) we could take care of just everybody!!!

Hope that everyone is OK! My brother in law lives pretty near there, but he is at home.

No lives lost apparently.

I've heard over the years that many bridges have been rebuilt and strengthened in cities to support tanks/military heavy vehicles and/or masses of people/cars crossing them all at once.

Haven't done enough research to determine if that is most likely BS or not. Most of the time though an assumption that gov is up to no good is usually a safe assumption.

Maybe instead of pissing away 200 million on planning and greasing the wheels for the "NO ONE WANTS THE DAMN THING COLUMBIA RIVER CROSSING BRIDGE" they should have taken a better look at the bridges we do have. This makes me think of the local school district who has allowed our schools to fall into disrepair and figured no problem we will just ask for a 36 million dollar bond to tear one down, abandon another, shuffle kids around, and build another around the Gym from the one they want to tear down.

This after the last one of 39 million that was supposed to solve all these problems.

You can build a Walmart Super store including the property and all fee's for less then 10 million. Tell me how many kids you could school inside a Walmart Super store sized building?

Our new high school has a freckin stair case with more sq ft age then the classrooms in the grade school I attended. Looks cool total waste of money.

Update. It sounds like a truck with an oversize load hit the bridge. A witness (who went over and landed in the water) said another semi was in the left lane and seems to have prevented the semi with the oversize load from moving to the left.

I wonder if there were both forward and rear pilot vehicles, and if there was a rear pilot vehicle then why didn't it "protect" the semi with the oversize load during the bridge crossing.

Bridge collapse Washington Interstate 5 | www.kirotv.com

Peter

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews