Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Breech Face erosion... on a new Glock?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by fish1260, Apr 24, 2015.

1. fish1260

fish1260 SW WA Member

Am I correct in what is going on here? See the below picture. This is a new Glock, about two months old. There are less the 500 rounds through it, a mix of federal 115s, and handloaded 124JHPs on top of 5.0 gr of autocomp, and either Tula or CCI primers. Two range trips and 1 USPSA match. None of my other glocks with MUCH higher round counts have anything like this. Is this anything to worry about?

Forgot to mention...G34

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

you mention using handloaded ammunition - voided warranty.

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

It just looks like hammered on carbon. Try cleaning it more aggressively to include scraping with a solvent and a brass or bronze scraper.

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  4. fish1260

fish1260 SW WA Member

Unfortunately I am well aware of that. For me, the reloading art/science is part of the fun of shooting sports and hand loads run through all of my guns.:)

5. fish1260

fish1260 SW WA Member

I was hoping that was the case, but I do not think so. A brass brush did not do the trick. I will however, tear it down and lay a soaked patch with kroil on it while I find something stronger than a brass brush ( yet stil safe) to scrape with.

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yea, to my eye and that picture it doesn't look like recessed pits (pitting) but more like "bumps" or anti-pitting (lol) protruding up farther than the breech face proper. They have special scrapers for AR parts to scrape off hard carbon.. don't know what metal they use though.
    I've soaked surfaces and then rubbed the end of a chopstick hard (held perpendicular to the work) on hard carbon and usually it comes right off.

7. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Common area to get baked on carbon build up. This is not corrosion. I'll snap you a picture of my 17 when I get home. It's at close to 6k rounds since its last bath.

8. ridnjon

ridnjon vancouver wa Active Member

It's blow by from the primers. Bad brass or bad primers.

9. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Pic as promised. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430078210.363994.jpg

10. fish1260

fish1260 SW WA Member

I'll have to give this one to ridnjon, however he got the added benefit of seeing it in person. Upon further/closer inspection I did find numerous Tula primed brass that had gas escaping due to the primers not forming a tight seal in the pocket. There is some permanent damage to the breech face, but at least I know what caused it to avoid any further problems!

11. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

Yeah, gas cutting. I had the same thing happen to a 270. Its ugly, but that's about it.

12. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've used a bunch of Tula primers and never noticed the above on breach faces in 9mm and .40? I load my .38s pretty light so....Tula primers have always felt the same as CCI when pressing in with the hand primer too.

I'm going to do some digging in my dirty brass and see if I can see anything on the spent shells.