JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look up Keely Hopkins on Facebook. She's from Wallowa County, Oregon, and she was one of those NRA-ILA field reps. She worked her butt off in this last election, but there's only so much you can do to counter $10M in deceitful advertising.

What's needed in Oregon (and probably elsewhere) is to break up the huge monolithic university student vote that returns people like Ginny Burdock to office over and over. Here are some thoughts I've had on how to go about that:

The recent Democratic victories in Oregon state elections have given us a legislature completely controlled by the Democrats, and a rubber stamp governor who will sign anything they send him. I was thinking that there has to be a way to combat this situation, when I got into a curious conversation with my son, who attends PSU in Portland. It seems that he was approached many times last Fall by voter registration volunteers to change his voter registration address from our address in rural Oregon to a PSU address. One has to ask why? What is the point? It occurred to me that this is how people like Ginny Burdock continue to get re-elected. They depend on the extra thousands of potential Democratic voters in their districts that PSU and other universities provide. This is why we have a monolithic Democratic voter response in Oregon wherever there are universities.

There's something fundamentally wrong with this situation from an ethical standpoint. These young people will be in these locations for 4 or 5 years, voting on local issues (like the issuance of 30 year bonds) and electing candidates to represent that area, when they have no interest in the long term fortunes of that area or even the state of Oregon in some cases. There is an old political saying that is appropriate to this situation, "Vote the town dry and then leave."

With this in mind I've been thinking about how to address the issue. I think I've found a solution, and it wouldn't take much to implement it. A simple change in wording of the election laws regarding registration and residence addresses. The current pertinent law reads as follows:

247.035 Rules to consider in determining residence of person for voting purposes. (1) An elections official, in determining the residence and qualifications of a person offering to register or vote, shall consider the following rules, so far as they may be applicable:

(a) The person's residence shall be the place in which habitation is fixed and to which, when the person is absent, the person intends to return.

(b) If a person's property is split by a jurisdictional line, the person shall be registered where the residence is located. If the residence is split by a jurisdictional line, the person shall register where the greatest value of the residence is located according to county assessment and taxation records.

(c) A person shall not be considered to have gained a residence in any location in this state into which the person comes for temporary purposes only, without the intention of making it the person's home. [Emphasis added]

(d) If a person moves to another state with the intention of making a permanent home, the person shall be considered to have lost residence in this state.

(e) If a person goes from this state into any other state or territory and votes there, the person shall be considered to have lost residence in this state.

(f) A person who has left the place of the person's residence for a temporary purpose only shall not be considered to have lost residence. [Emphasis added]

I would add paragraph (g) to the existing law in order to mandate that university students register to vote wherever they lived previous to attending school for as long as they are attending school full time, living on campus, or are listed on a parent's tax return as a dependent. That dependency requirement would automatically include all students receiving student financial aid packages.

(g) Attendance at an institution for post-secondary education is defined as a temporary purpose if: (i) the student is a full time student, (ii) the student lives on campus or in campus housing, or (iii) the student is claimed as a dependent on the federal or state tax return of a parent, step-parent, guardian, or other person.

This would have the effect of having Oregon university students register to vote where their parents live, or where they lived previous to attending school in Oregon. This would disburse the currently concentrated student vote in many Oregon legislative districts and allow local residents in those legislative districts to control their own long term destinies.

Last Edited:
To all the Oregonians donating to support SAFs fight against 594, thank you! United We Stand. Washington appreciates your assistance.

????????
I always get replies from them.

There's at least one other forum poster that sent a query and didn't get a reply. It's not a big deal, I'm sure they were busy and some requests for info got overlooked. I'm just glad to hear they were active and worked on our behalf. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Where did you put your I594 bumper sticker?

I didn't get a bumper sticker because I get the electronic versions of the publications. That and I don't litter our cars with any bumper stickers. Only 'sticker' I have is a magnetic "USMC Dad" sign given to me by my Sgt serving in active duty.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

If you're assuming I didn't contact them, you're making an incorrect assumption. As a life member, I assumed I'd have heard something back, but all I got was deafening silence. Kudos to you for actually getting a reply.

I'm a Life Member, Benefactor level, Golden Eagle member and recruiter and I can't EVER remember getting a response to a question back from them. I don't even try anymore.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Where did you put your I594 bumper sticker?
Mine went right on the rear window of my van, another two "No on 1-594" ones went on my wife's car and the van also.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last Edited:
Just sent my renewal and some $ for the I-594 suit.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA REcruiter

I'm a Life Member, Benefactor level, Golden Eagle member and recruiter and I can't EVER remember getting a response to a question back from them. I don't even try anymore.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA recruiter

To get a response from any Org no matter what field, ya gotta be like a squeaky wheel, as it always gets the grease.
It is a shame that members get overlooked but they do have 4+ million members.

To get a response from any Org no matter what field, ya gotta be like a squeaky wheel, as it always gets the grease.
It is a shame that members get overlooked but they do have 4+ million members.
Actually it's over 5+ million members now and has been for a while.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter

What's needed in Oregon (and probably elsewhere) is to break up the huge monolithic university student vote that returns people like Ginny Burdock to office over and over. Here are some thoughts I've had on how to go about that:

... snip ...

This would have the effect of having Oregon university students register to vote where their parents live, or where they lived previous to attending school in Oregon. This would disburse the currently concentrated student vote in many Oregon legislative districts and allow local residents in those legislative districts to control their own long term destinies.

that's really some fantastic analysis. we need more people like you thinking about these kinds of problems. have you talked with your elected representative?

Actually it's over 5+ million members now and has been for a while.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter

:oops::oops: Where the heck have I been.....

<broken link removed>

So when you get that fundraising letter from Second Amendment Foundation, or any WA gun group that claims to want to fight for your rights, remember what you just read. Remember that liberty is never granted. Never given, never received as a result of a bargain. It can only be fought for and won...

All I see in their letter is bubbleguming about the 2nd amendment foundation's wording... Really? AT LEAST THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING!!!
What has the PHS done? They are as much a joke as the NRA.................

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top