JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You'll love it when they fill up their vehicle by inserting their card at the pump and then walk into the store to buy a churro without moving their vehicle out of the way.

Mmmm, I love me a churro....

Kidding aside, I live in Washington (on the southern border) and make it a point to time my fill-ups with my shopping trips to (no sales tax) Astoria. I have no problem pumping my own, but if someone else is paid to do it, then have at it....:)

In the past, in other states, one island was for full service (they pumped your gas), and the other islands were for self serve. The gas at the full service island cost a little more than the self serve.

I prefer to fill my own, particularly if I'm going on a cross-country trip. I can get in AT LEAST a gallon more than they put in at Oregon stations - that makes a difference if traveling out in the deserted spaces of Nevada and Oregon.

In my opinion this has to be to appease the oil industry who is going to be operating at basically a net loss for a little while, one less person they've got to payroll while they lose money. It makes no sense otherwise.

There are only 2 states which require a gas attendant to handle the pump.

Oregon.

New Jersey.

It's always been a create jobs deal for these 2 states.

Nothing safety related, otherwise gas stations would be exploding daily in all of the other states. Haven't heard of any.

Mostly I don't mind them pumping our gas, when they're staffed & moving like they care about their job. Incredibly annoying when they're short staffed/moving slow motion. It's those times I'd like THE OPTION to do it.

As to now, with the Covid? I'd rather just do it. Gloves with proper removal care & sani.

I found some cheap gas in Hood River the other night.
"Fill it", says I, and handed the attendant my card.
A few minutes later he comes back to finish-up... I took a quick look at the gallons and dollar amount, which seemed to be correct.
An hour later, pulling into Troutdale I noticed that I only had a quarter tank... WTH? No, I didn't even notice my gas gauge before then, I was on complete auto-pilot... zombified from work (where, btw, I pump my own diesel every day and have never caused a calamity).
I stopped and checked my card balance... $1 authorization and then... nothing. Dude never turned the pump on. Apparently I wasn't the only zombie in Hood River that night.
So, what does that silly (and slightly frustrating) anecdote have to do with the topic? Nothing. Nothing at all, really. Just some Sunday morning rambling from yer old pal Yuma.

I love how people from other states assume we don't know how to pump our own gas. Like we haven't had to do it whenever we travel outside the state?

I know last time I pumped my own gas I sprayed gas all over the state of Washington and accidently lit Inslee and the entire state of Washington on fire because I was so incompetent.

Come on now, it's just left over nonsense from a bygone era. I kinda expected nonsense like this to go as soon as it became inconvenient.

Years ago when a friend of mine from California moved up here he stopped and started to pump his own gas and and the attendant came out screaming stop stop stop. My friend said what's was the problem? The attendant said Californians come up here all the time and blow themselves up. Has anybody ever heard of that happening? The 40 million people in California seem to not have a problem. Gas attendants are obsolete it and should not be forced on the public. It's time to modernize Oregon a bit. :s0100:

OREGASTP.png

Last Edited:
In Tennessee, we pump it ourselves.. Even our women .. We man our own pumps.. :p

BTW, our gas is down to like $1.60 a gal in some places here, how about over there? Only good thing I can see come out of this epidemic is low gas prices. Sadly, there is not a lot of places to drive. THen again, I was considering a trip to the mountains this Summer and since it doesn't violate social distancing rules.. Maybe, some nice road trips will be on the horizon if i can get my finances in check and have some free time. Would be kind of nice to drive all the way to Montana and spend like 1/3 of what I would have use to spent for a road trip.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top