JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No one pumps gas into my Harley but me - no exceptions!

I had my new Acura for about a week before some gas jockey spilled gas all over the side of my car. I was apoplectic. Then he starts to wipe it off with those harsh shop towels before I stopped him and used the water hose and winshield cleaning fluid (and wiper) to wash it off. He didn't try to stop me and when his manager came out to see what was going on, he fell all over himself and offered to give me money to take it to the car wash. The first and only new car that I will buy in my life. It is now 13 years old and still looks new - after I wash and wax it :)

I would prefer to pump my own gas so I can top off my tank and squeeze those Safeway gas rewards to the max. Usually when the auto-shutoff clicks you can still get another gallon (or three) in the tank.
Use to work there the trick is to ask them to round it off not top it off lmao

You pump your own gas to prevent: "the slow entitled workers tend to get on my nerves since I really don't need them"

I wouldn't want an attendant to pump my gas.

When I want to fuel up my truck, boom, I do it and it's done.

But yes, I understand it may ruin some folk's nail polish, or the wind may ruin their 'do'...and the germs, OMG, the germs and pumping your own gas is just...icky.

I can't believe this is a 'controversial' subject, but it is hilarious in it's OCD-like weirdness.

wait so instead of just ONE person touching the pump and no real contamination at all to that ONE person,
now that want every one to touch it.... and cross contaminate that pump... SHM WTF is wrong with people...

In my opinion this has to be to appease the oil industry who is going to be operating at basically a net loss for a little while, one less person they've got to payroll while they lose money. It makes no sense otherwise.

In my opinion this has to be to appease the oil industry who is going to be operating at basically a net loss for a little while, one less person they've got to payroll while they lose money. It makes no sense otherwise.
Most of the gas stations dont have attendants hired by gas companies, usually hired by the little marts (Jacksons, AM/PM, Quik Mart, etc) or by the franchises who purchases fuel from oil companies (Arco, Towne Pump, Space Age)

FWIW, the gas prices aren't influenced at the slightest bit by having attendants or none :rolleyes:

Also, several gas stations are "independently owned franchises" and thus can change prices at will :rolleyes: (One Arco station may be $2.12, another in the same town may be $2.45 per gallon cheapest)

I understand where everyone is coming from. One of the main reasons we have attendants are because there's that twenty to thirty percent that do stupid things. we make sure they don't do so everyone is safe. I am neither slow nor entitled and if somebody wants to pump their own gas go for it. I was pumping gas for people who had to escape out of troutdale during the eagle Creek fires nobody could figure it I don't think anybody wanted to be around gas will all that was going on! also most people don't read signs they don't know where the emergency shut offs are or fire extinguishers are located. All I'm saying is is there some stereotypes in our job absolutely just like all jobs.

Didn't Oregon recently passed a rule that says people could pump own gas in counties with under 40,000 residents and after certain hours??
yes they did and its the norm in those rural counties. When I road trip I always forget and sit and wait for the attendant to show up then feel stupid for mumbling to myself how slow the service is until I remember 'oh yeah'...

Personally I've been planning to drive to WA to pump gas since day 1 of the virus stuff. I can control what I touch and use alcohol spray if I self serve.

This virus is transferred simply by someone talking to you. I don't want any attendant talking to me or handing me stuff.

So far I haven't had to refill cuz topped off everything the first day but when I do I will drive to WA to do it.

I don't trust OR gas stations to let you pump ur own gas without some guy trying to interject/get in the way. I've tried it numerous times before and there is always some attendant who wants to get in the middle (even for diesel and small plastic cans). If I go to an Oregon station and there are literally no attendants around at all, then I would be fine with that but I doubt it's going to happen. We'll see

Last Edited:
would be great if this law sticks, so much faster to pump your own and I'm not one for small talk. I have an old truck with a locking gas cap and you wont believe how many gas attendants don't know how to operate an old locking gas cap.

Also it's probably already been mentioned but I had my credit card info stolen at a gas station once in Portland and I had a relative visiting and his credit card was stolen once here also (different gas station). Both times there was no question exactly where it was stolen cuz it was the only use of that card.

would be great if this law sticks, so much faster to pump your own and I'm not one for small talk. I have an old truck with a locking gas cap and you wont believe how many gas attendants don't know how to operate an old locking gas cap.

If nobody feels your pain I do, I drive an 84 Chevy Caprice and you won't believe how many attendants I leave in disbelief when I say "It's behind the license plate"

If nobody feels your pain I do, I drive an 84 Chevy Caprice and you won't believe how many attendants I leave in disbelief when I say "It's behind the license plate"
just add a simple locking gas cap to that and your fillups will take 30 minutes min...

3c-0cd8b979d136_1.ff8349ad2668f7d2f8012e2ed2b83b51.jpg

And this will make us somehow forget you're a Californian?:D

Urrgh......I can always do my atonement for crimes against freedom later, hah hah.... o_O

It won't be long though, I should also mention that I bought a house in Washington last week and is planning to move up north soon. Due to work and the inconvenience of shelter in place I delayed the trip but we'll be up there in mid-Apr.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews