JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whenever I have 10 Safeway rewards saved up, I take in my cans and buy the full 25 gallons @ $1.00 off per gallon. It's a cheap way to keep the boat tanks topped off. That would be tough to do in Oregon. ;)
You can fill up gas cans here. It's no different than any place else in regard to that.

This was my first thought. Kinda cancels out the idea of exposure to another person face to face.

(disparaging word dummy left out of quote). Wearing gloves doesn't necessarily block the transfer of germs. You wear gloves to pump gas, then get back in the car and touch control surfaces there. Or you have a big supply of gloves and change them every time you touch a new surface. Changing gloves itself might introduce an avenue of transmission.

Is it like riding a bicycle?

Being from Wash., having my gas pumped has been a novelty we've encountered on trips south. My experience as a driver goes back to 1965, so used to be gas was pumped on every purchase. When the oil shocks of 1973 and 1979 came along, so did self service. Which might've been just a way for the industry to save money on labor. Oregon requiring the pumping of gas, that was about safety issues, wasn't it? At least ostensibly. Personally, if it gives jobs to low income people I don't mind the practice.

In the 60's, the attendant often was wearing some kind of uniform. Sometimes the little white, paper fore and aft cap that mechanics sometimes wore. There were the pneumatic bells activated by rubber hoses so that when a customer drove in, the guy could snap-a$$ out to the pumps. When I was a fledgling driver, I ran into the cash register stand on a pump island, the register flew off and hit the ground, coins went rolling all around. Kinda embarrassing.
I truly think the low skill low wage shows. I think its an unnecessary service but could be an option, as you mentioned for health related reasons.
Not a fan based upon the fact that I drive for 1/2 of my work.. no stranger to gas stations.. so the slow entitled workers tend to get on my nerves since I really don't need them. Oregon should have made it an optional service still providing jobs but not punishing the gas station or individuals choosing to pump their own gas.

Oregon temporarily lifts prohibition on self-service gas in response to coronavirus
Updated 8:32 AM; Today 8:28 AM

Oregon will allow drivers to pump their own gas until April 11 in order to reduce contact that could spread the coronavirus, the state fire marshal announced early Saturday morning.

"During this unprecedented time of state emergency, we need to ensure that critical supply lines for fuels and other basic services remain uninterrupted," State Fire Marshal Jim Walker said in a press release.

Stations can only operate without an attendant if "there are no employees available to work" and the station operator must document worker absences as well as employee hiring and retention efforts, the fire marshal's office said.
What IDIOT came up with that idea?!!! Now we can all jump out of our vehicles, where we are isolated from each other and grab the pump handle that somebody else just handled, sneezed on, coughed on, etc. This is the absolutely most ridiculous, stupid, dangerous idea anybody has had in a long time!

I no longer want to pump my own fuel. I did it for a living many years ago. So, Mr. Texan, that doesn't make me a dummy, or at least I didn't think so.

I remember when an attendant had to pump gas for us in Washington, too. When they passed the law for self serve, one of the incentives was, gas would be cheaper. How long did that last? Now gas costs more there, and the gas pumping jobs are gone. Don't be so quick to sell out your neighbor. They're not doing it for us, but for themselves, no matter how much we're fooled by smoke and mirrors.

I appreciate the jobs gas pumping provides. I also like not having to deal with leaky nozzles and hoses, or nozzles that don't shut off, blasting gas all over, or wading thru all the spilled gas, diesel, and oil at the gas pump island. I dunno...Maybe that does make me a dummy.

But I'm old. The boomer-remover killer virus will soon get me. Then I'll be out of everyone's hair.

Seriously...I would prefer a compromise. Gas jockeys to pump your gas, but allowing you to pump your own when you'd prefer. As now, it's legal to self-pump gas into my motorcycle.

Hey man, not trying to be incitive.

You stay healthy and safe brother.

What IDIOT came up with that idea?!!! Now we can all jump out of our vehicles, where we are isolated from each other and grab the pump handle that somebody else just handled, sneezed on, coughed on, etc. This is the absolutely most ridiculous, stupid, dangerous idea anybody has had in a long time!

Same idiots who banned plastic bags at the grocery store and now you have to bag your own groceries because the clerks don't want to touch your reusable bag. o_O

For the fact that it speeds everything up, Im in favor of this. Most gas stations have hand sanitizer by the trash cans which are by the pumps, If you're concerned over such things. But if you've ever used a public door handle, used a pin pad for your card or received cash change.. its the same premise and not worth worrying over.

I loath having to wait for some guy/kid to unenthusiastically shlep his way from the store counter on outside as if Im inconveniencing him. Drives me nuts. Its an unnecessary job that actually slows everything down. I hope it goes away and we can just pump our own gas. An attendant should be out there as a watchman and to assist those that cannot easily do it themselves.
I commuted 180 miles a day in CA for 12 years, from the central valley to SF. That meant that I filled up at least every other day for 12 years using self-serve. If you think it's going to be faster, think again. You'll loath having to wait for some entitled customer to shlep his way to the store counter to pay, then from the store counter on outside as if no one else in the world exists. You'll love it when they fill up their vehicle by inserting their card at the pump and then walk into the store to buy a churro without moving their vehicle out of the way. You'll love it when the last idiot managed to get fuel all over himself, his car, the ground, and the pump handle and hose. You'll love it that since nobody who's employed there ever has to use the pump handles, a leaky one is no big deal. You'll love keeping a supply of nitrile gloves in your car so that you don't arrive at your business meeting smelling like old gasoline. You'll love standing out in the weather when it's 20 degrees F and snowing sideways. You'll wonder why we ever thought that self-serve was a good idea.

So, now instead on only one person, the attendant, handling my credit card, hundreds will have handled the pump handle I have to use. Seem this will increase exposure greatly.
I know, I can use hand sanitizer, but not everyone will.

I commuted 180 miles a day in CA for 12 years, from the central valley to SF. That meant that I filled up at least every other day for 12 years using self-serve. If you think it's going to be faster, think again. You'll loath having to wait for some entitled customer to shlep his way to the store counter to pay, then from the store counter on outside as if no one else in the world exists. You'll love it when they fill up their vehicle by inserting their card at the pump and then walk into the store to buy a churro without moving their vehicle out of the way. You'll love it when the last idiot managed to get fuel all over himself, his car, the ground, and the pump handle and hose. You'll love it that since nobody who's employed there ever has to use the pump handles, a leaky one is no big deal. You'll love keeping a supply of nitrile gloves in your car so that you don't arrive at your business meeting smelling like old gasoline. You'll love standing out in the weather when it's 20 degrees F and snowing sideways. You'll wonder why we ever thought that self-serve was a good idea.
Id prefer ALL of that over forcibly waiting on an attendant. Yes, love even.

This makes about the same amount of sense as Walmart cutting their hours basically in half, so the same amount of people have to get their shopping done in half the amount of available time. I am no expert but that pretty much means the store will be twice as crowded. Did I miss something?

Would you want to be next in line with her filling up those plastic bags?

Oh that's rich.

I once tried to board a transit bus carrying a canister vacuum cleaner. The driver stopped me and asked me what was in it. He thought it might be gasoline, not allowed on public transit.

Plastic bags. One time we were to drive to the airport on I-5, which turned out to be closed down to one lane due to a traffic accident. We were stuck for over an hour, Mrs. Merkt got desperate for relief. Finally, she picked up a plastic sandwich bag and said she would use it for her relief. I said, "That ain't gonna work." So I drove off the pavement, onto the grassy center median and drove around the blockage. The Patrol was there but busy with the accident. I figured if they stopped me (which they didn't) I'd simply tell them it was a medical emergency. Sort of. We got off at the next exit and found a public comfort station.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top