JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Oregon temporarily lifts prohibition on self-service gas in response to coronavirus
Updated 8:32 AM; Today 8:28 AM

Oregon will allow drivers to pump their own gas until April 11 in order to reduce contact that could spread the coronavirus, the state fire marshal announced early Saturday morning.

"During this unprecedented time of state emergency, we need to ensure that critical supply lines for fuels and other basic services remain uninterrupted," State Fire Marshal Jim Walker said in a press release.

Stations can only operate without an attendant if "there are no employees available to work" and the station operator must document worker absences as well as employee hiring and retention efforts, the fire marshal's office said.

I'm really iffy on this. I used to live in Oregon, live in Washington now, and have pumped gas for work at Costco in the past.
Isn't this more people touching the same objects...passing the virus easier?
and how many people are going to light themselves on fire/drown their passenger while not paying attention.
Pumping gas for people in Oregon can be interesting, let alone letting them do it themselves for the first time.

bubblegum-just-got-real-meme-W630.jpg

My wife, the nurse, just asked why it makes sense far ALL of us to touch the nozzle instead of just one guy?

OH NO!!!! I've been in Oregon for 38 years. How am I supposed to know HOW to pump my own gas? Oh lord....I better get a break on price if ima gonna have to learn.

For the fact that it speeds everything up, Im in favor of this. Most gas stations have hand sanitizer by the trash cans which are by the pumps, If you're concerned over such things. But if you've ever used a public door handle, used a pin pad for your card or received cash change.. its the same premise and not worth worrying over.

I loath having to wait for some guy/kid to unenthusiastically shlep his way from the store counter on outside as if Im inconveniencing him. Drives me nuts. Its an unnecessary job that actually slows everything down. I hope it goes away and we can just pump our own gas. An attendant should be out there as a watchman and to assist those that cannot easily do it themselves.

I'm really iffy on this. I used to live in Oregon, live in Washington now, and have pumped gas for work at Costco in the past.
Isn't this more people touching the same objects...passing the virus easier?
and how many people are going to light themselves on fire/drown their passenger while not paying attention.
Pumping gas for people in Oregon can be interesting, let alone letting them do it themselves for the first time.

I think it's a response to not having enough attendants to pump the gas for you. We have a dog, so there are always dog poop bags in the vehicles. I'll probably just grab one of those to prevent direct exposure. I'd rather pump my own gas anyway. Much quicker.

For the fact that it speeds everything up, Im in favor of this. Most gas stations have hand sanitizer by the trash cans which are by the pumps, If you're concerned over such things. But if you've ever used a public door handle, used a pin pad for your card or received cash change.. its the same premise and not worth worrying over.

I loath having to wait for some guy/kid to unenthusiastically shlep his way from the store counter on outside as if Im inconveniencing him. Drives me nuts. Its an unnecessary job that actually slows everything down. I hope it goes away and we can just pump our own gas. An attendant should be out there as a watchman and to assist those that cannot easily do it themselves.

In general I'm in agreement I think. Coming from a self service state all those years ago I've got used to having it pumped for me. I haven't run into issues I always hear during these discussions, chipped paint, waiting too long, surly attendants. My issue if Oregon went self service is, and you know it, you ain't going to get NOTHIN' back on prices from the savings the stations get from booting pump jocky's. And something else, when pump you're own comes that's going to mean you are going to have to go in, or up to a plexiglas window, and make arrangements for payment before you can pump at some places. I ran into that at a station outside of Pendlton early one morning. I flipped the bird at the window person, after I'm fumbling around with the pump for awhile with no help from inside. I then went on to the next exit where the price was the same, and the pump jockey was friendly and attentive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top