JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Check this out. They just banned guns in the Philippines.

They set up check-points and went door-to-door grabbing guns and arresting people.

UN operation? Trial run for the USA? :s0131:

Dozens Held in Philippines Gun Ban
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2010/01/201011291725951208.html

20091245413950734_5.jpg

The ban aims to curb political killings similar to the massacre of 57 people late last year [Reuters]

Police in the Philippines say they have arrested at least 70 people since Sunday's imposition of a nationwide ban on guns ahead of elections later this year.

Some 3,500 checkpoints have been set up across the country to enforce the ban which officials hope will cut the number of politically-motivated killings which usually blight election campaigns.

The five-month ban started on Sunday and applies to everyone including off duty police and military officers.

"We want to show to the public that we are dead serious about implementing the nationwide gun ban," Jefferson Soriano, the Philippines police deputy director general, said on the ABS-CBN television network.

Officials estimate there are more than one million unlicensed firearms in circulation in the Philippines, with dozens of people killed each election season when politicians seek to eliminate rivals or critics.

Fuelling the violence are the "private armies" controlled by so-called political warlords.

The gun ban is imposed ahead of every Philippine election, but has taken on more significance in recent months following the massacre of 57 people in the southern province of Maguindanao late last year.

Under the terms of the ban, which will last until June 9, civilians with permits to carry guns are also forbidden from taking them out of their homes.

In addition, politicians are not allowed to have armed bodyguards, a common practice normally.

When I lived in the Philippines (early 80's, then again later that same decade) guns were outlawed under Marcos. The only ones that had them were the NPA (commie New Peoples Army) and the Muslims in Mindanao (and of course Marcos and his people). I was told that they loosened the laws in the 90's though. I remember Marcos' secret police gunning people down in Manila that were wearing Aquino t-shirts during the elections. As nice as I found the people to be and as much as I liked the people and culture, it's a third world country run by the very top one or two percent by force and has been for a very long time. I don't think this is a precursor to disarmament here.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. The real problem is that this gun-grab is probably not going to accomplish anything. I suspect that those who wish to kill will find a way. Start counting the bombings in the Philippines.

I feel sorry for the guns, prolly gonna end up as firewood and rebar, unless the gov't ends up using em. ...or they sell them.
(photo looks like alot of mausers, bolt actions, maybe some shotguns.)

but, my cousin used to work in the phillipines, while he, like you tallshipsgo, liked the people and culture, he was glad to leave when he did. (went to beijing... probably not an improvement.)

Of course these things are no longer taught in our education institutions but the Japanes tried to stop the Philopinos back in WWII with the same kind of tactics. Liberal governments bring this out in the people, just keep watching here at home.

jj

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. The real problem is that this gun-grab is probably not going to accomplish anything. I suspect that those who wish to kill will find a way. Start counting the bombings in the Philippines.

Do gun grabs ever? Subservience is the only desired outcome to a gun ban/grab and they’ll achieve that but, as you said, nothing else.

Yeah Arkarayne, I d@mn near kissed the ground when I got back CONUS. NO better feeling.

Of course these things are no longer taught in our education institutions but the Japanes tried to stop the Philopinos back in WWII with the same kind of tactics. Liberal governments bring this out in the people, just keep watching here at home.

jj

Sadly you're right JJ, these things are not taught. The brutality the Filipinos were subjected to was unimaginable. The Japanese were astonishingly violent towards everyone, combatant and civilian alike.

*Dutch accent* oh no shir, it was a horrrrible shmelting accident...

just need a weapons importer to "acquire" those from the phillipine gov't, for "historical" purposes... yeah...

The five-month ban started on Sunday...
The gun ban is imposed ahead of every Philippine election...
After the election, when the ban is lifted, what do they do with the guns? Return 'em to their 'rightful' owners or sell on the open market. How'd that be for a gun tax -- periodically we steal your guns and make you re-buy them.

MrB

After the election, when the ban is lifted, what do they do with the guns? Return 'em to their 'rightful' owners or sell on the open market. How'd that be for a gun tax -- periodically we steal your guns and make you re-buy them.

MrB

+1 That is a question I'd like to know the answer to as well.

MrB

That's easy: the people that took them keep them. They give some to friends and family and that's about it. I'm sure it's been done already. That's the way it works there.

It wouldn't be that far fetched for an executive order to be made banning guns for a certain stretch of time for say a election season, if someone tried to run for a third term, it can happen look to Franklin Roosevelt, economically we are in similar times. I believe a president could try it, would the police or army enforce a ban here....Probably not. If it did occur, who is willing to become a felon for keeping your guns? It is easy to say, but we are so used to everyday conveniences that majority of gun owners could not take care of themselves let alone their family without the government infrastructure that is in place that is fairly accessible to all as long as you are law abiding.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top