JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm 65 years old and I remember years ago when it was a generally accepted rule that if you bought a new firearm (especially a semi-auto pistol) that you had to run 200+ rounds through it to break it in. And that being unreliable during the first couple hundred rounds was almost expected. You needed to run a couple hundred rounds through it to smooth out the internals.

Now days, it seems like people expect a gun to be 100% reliable straight out of the box.

Is this a valid expectation, or just wishful thinking?

Have new manufacturing methods allowed us to manufacture guns that are 100% reliable out of the box, or do people just have unrealistic expectations and just want instant perfection.

Opinions?

Trust but verify. I have pretty strong faith that any Glock or AR I would purchase to be duty ready straight out of the box, that said I would never use a weapon for duty without confirming it and sighting it in.

I'm 65 years old and I remember years ago when it was a generally accepted rule that if you bought a new firearm (especially a semi-auto pistol) that you had to run 200+ rounds through it to break it in. And that being unreliable during the first couple hundred rounds was almost expected. You needed to run a couple hundred rounds through it to smooth out the internals.

Now days, it seems like people expect a gun to be 100% reliable straight out of the box.

Is this a valid expectation, or just wishful thinking?

Have new manufacturing methods allowed us to manufacture guns that are 100% reliable out of the box, or do people just have unrealistic expectations and just want instant perfection.

Opinions?
Wishful thinking, IMO.

I think new mfg processes have improved and may not require as much break-in time as in earlier days, and are fairly accurate out of the box, but to really smooth out the function and tighten up groupings still requires an amount of break-in.

Trust but verify. I have pretty strong faith that any Glock or AR I would purchase to be duty ready straight out of the box, that said I would never use a weapon for duty without confirming it and sighting it in.

Wishful thinking, IMO.

I think new mfg processes have improved and may not require as much break-in time as in earlier days, and are fairly accurate out of the box, but to really smooth out the function and tighten up groupings still requires an amount of break-in.
What they said.

I think it depends on the quality of the gun in question.

Couple boxes of defense and fmj thru a Glock and I'd carry it.

Some others I wouldn't carry before I shot hundreds of rounds thru.

Buying used used to be a perk…

I think it depends on the quality of the gun in question.

Couple boxes of defense and fmj thru a Glock and I'd carry it.

Some others I wouldn't carry before I shot hundreds of rounds thru.

Buying used used to be a perk…
I don't know about quality, I'd say more on tolerances. Some companies are notorious for overly tight tolerances, Kahr, Kimber, and some high end 1911s. I don't know that I'd throw Kahr or Kimber in the high quality bucket.

Some manufacturers go with looser tolerances and don't take require a break-in.

What he/him/they/it said.
1679440547096.jpeg

Hard call for out of the box reliable performance for semi auto's. Break in requirements vary from shooter to shooter as much as "best of" this or that.
My opinion is 100 rounds minimum done in small groups with cleaning in between. I don't need to wear the gun half out to feel good about it. If a new gun owner, unlikely to shoot much, it is most prudent to fire at least that many for your sake as much as the guns.
A half dozen decades has proven anything, at any time, can break, so no point fretting about what if. Learn to adapt, have a back up plan.

A LOT of auto's now just work from day one. Modern manufacturing has come a LONG way. Last two 1911's I bought just worked from first day. Anymore if I was to buy a Glock I would run some ammo through it for fun, but would have no problem carrying it from the first day. For most guns the "break in" is just fun anyway. Some its of course not. I have several Ruger LCPII's. All of them have worked from day one. The ones in .22 are fun to shoot. The one in .380 I ran a couple hundred through the first day and my one hand hurt like hell. It had drawn some blood but it worked from round one.

A LOT of auto's now just work from day one. Modern manufacturing has come a LONG way. Last two 1911's I bought just worked from first day. Anymore if I was to buy a Glock I would run some ammo through it for fun, but would have no problem carrying it from the first day. For most guns the "break in" is just fun anyway. Some its of course not. I have several Ruger LCPII's. All of them have worked from day one. The ones in .22 are fun to shoot. The one in .380 I ran a couple hundred through the first day and my one hand hurt like hell. It had drawn some blood but it worked from round one.
Normally I would agree but I have a friend that had a brand new Glock that either broke soon after arrival or was DOA - I can't remember.

I'd say at the very least (and this really isn't a break in as mush as a confidence check) I'd run a box of hollow points thru it to make sure they feed.

Depends on if this is the only gun you have.

Trust but verify. I dont trust a gun until I put 300rds thru it without incident in one session. But if it was my only gun and I only had 50-100 flawless rounds thru it Id probably carry it while I wait till the next range session.

I would never use or rely on a gun I haven't shot at all, even if it was the only gun I had.

Normally I would agree but I have a friend that had a brand new Glock that either broke soon after arrival or was DOA - I can't remember.

I'd say at the very least (and this really isn't a break in as mush as a confidence check) I'd run a box of hollow points thru it to make sure they feed.
Yep ALL mass manufacturing lets out a problem now and then. I don't even own a Glock but I have long said. If I had to run into a shop and grab a gun I could not test first? It would be the Glocks I would grab. From what I have seen since they hit the market they are as close as you get to 100% out of the box. I don't even like them but I admit this much about them :D

Anything mechanical can fail. I would definitely run a few hundred rounds through any new or new-to-me gun before carrying it for self-defense, just to be sure. I also take any new gun, clean it and cycle the action a few hundred times. In the past, with guns that did need break-in periods, that seemed to work as well as live firing it. I just rack the gun and dry fire it (in a safe direction), unless the manufacturer recommends against dry firing, while watching TV.

Like many others have said regarding modern guns. My M&P's have all run perfect from day one. I still put several hundred rounds through them along with ample amounts of carry ammo before they are in a holster with me. I do clean them about every 100 - 150 rounds for a while.

With 1911's, there are more metal to metal surfaces so they are cleaned every 50 - 100 rounds to begin. Some have much higher levels of sludge (technical term), especially when frame and slide are two different materials in my experience. Just my preferences.

Break-in and Verification are two different things IMO.

Follow whatever the MFG recommends with regard to break-in. Some have recommendations, some don't.

Reliability, however, should be verified on ALL carry guns, regardless of what the MFG recommends for break-in. To this end, there is no agreed upon number for verification. It's whatever you feel comfortable with to prove that the gun is reliable. It should be at least what the MFG recommends if they have given you a number/protocol. My number is 500 rounds and if that goes smoothly, 100 rounds of my carry ammo. YMMV.

I have been very fortunate with most of my purchases.
I EXPECT my personal defensive handguns to run 100% out of the box.
I don't TRUST them till I get a few hundred down them. But....
the idea that I HAVE to run 2-300 rounds of ammo before my new gun works as it is supposed to
Chaps my azz.
How about you get the thing running right before you sell it?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top