JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lemmee see if I can find the case, but during Katrina when the gun grabbing started, the Nat. Guard Adjunct General slapped that down HARD, and told every one to stop going after the guns or he would have them arrested and jailed until he got around to seating a tribunal!
I'm not sure if it's set law under Martial Law, or if it's settled law from a SCOTUS discission, but I saw the General get red faced pissed off that people were having their guns seized and he put a stop to it!

That is within general emergency powers. It is a "may" situation. The authority has always been there. Has the mayor actually acted on it? Sounds like someone was speed reading and noted "firearms" and went on full alert.

I was watching the Hurricane Katrina video sometime ago about seizing guns, and it was law enforcement not the national guard from what I could see. I clearly saw one raid it was looked like California Highway Patrol uniforms.

Shades of Katrina... regardless of Constitutionality, govt pulls this crap whenever it has an excuse/opportunity.

A certain past administration gave himself sweeping new emergency powers via Executive Order, after years of complaining about W during Katrina. Guess he thought it was a fabulous idea!!!

Last Edited:
If Champaign residents are upset, they should apply for an injunction. I suspect that it is Hollywood of the east, populated by idiots. Look at the mayor and her activism! What does anyone expect? Paranoia is clearly running high. I have watched such situations and the alarm it has caused since the 60s. Fact: we have more guns and ammo than ever.

Slimy wording in that non-denial denial. First, the issue is transfer of firearms and ammo. The statement says nothing about that at all -- it only says there is "currently" "no intent" (what about tomorrow?) to ban or seize property. They didn't even address transfers. Then they say there are no restrictions on booze or gas, but again, say nothing about transfers. Slimy wordplay by slimy bastards:

slimy1.png

slimy2.png

This is apparently just a District Court ruling applied to NC law. It does not have any precedential value, not at the circuit level nor at the national level. It only applies to the parties involved in that suit.

I understand that. I was just posting the summary of that case since some mentioned up further up in this thread.

It's the old case of.....

Just because there is a law on the books....well, we haven't done it yet, so settle the hell down.

Then.....

Unless it's been ruled unconstitutional.....it's still legal and enforceable.

See how this all works? Thank your local reps/politicians for what you got. Rrrrright...

Its_all_legal.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The law in question bans the transfer of firearms, ammo, and probably gunpowder. See OP's link, the text of the law is embedded in that article. The law says, the mayor may after declaring an emergency:

slimy3.png

Here is the "denial": Special Statement Clarifying City Code Provisions - City of Champaign and here is the meat:

This statement is in response to several false claims circulating online. To be clear, there is currently no firearm ban and no intent to seize property or close businesses. Additionally, there are no restrictions on the sale of alcohol or gas or the ability to enter or leave Champaign.

"currently no firearm ban": A firearm ban is not the same as ban on transfers.

"currently ... no intent to seize property of close businesses":

A) what is the intent tomorrow?
B) if a business is allowed to stay open but NOT sell firearms or ammo, does it matter the business is not "closed"?
C) if the city does not seize a business' stock of firearms or ammo, but prevents the sale of the same, does this denial mean anything?
D) Note they also say there is no restriction on the SALE (transfer) of alcohol and gasoline, but say nothing about the transfer (sale) of firearms and ammo. Why? If they want to deny the reports, why not say the law banning transfers of firearms/ammo also won't be activated?

The denial is slimy wordplay and bunch of self-righteous indignation, but it clearly and plainly does not say they won't do what the law said.

Last Edited:
Looks like there are maybe 2 Gun stores in Champaign one of them is a Field and Stream. So its not like her powers would have much effect as there are 4 more stores in the close by area but outside of town. And as mentioned above this is a MAY thing not a done thing.

Looks like there are maybe 2 Gun stores in Champaign one of them is a Field and Stream. So its not like her powers would have much effect as there are 4 more stores in the close by area but outside of town. And as mentioned above this is a MAY thing not a done thing.

None of that makes it OK. No she MAY not infringe the 2A as written into the law. And no, she may not use an unconstitutional law to infringe the rights of two businesses. The constitution is not graded on a scale.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top