JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a gas plug that is gummed up with old deposits. I know you're not supposed to lube pistons and such but can I use breakfree to break the gas plug free? Wouldn't want to ruin anything, ya know.

Yes, you can use it to clean with, however it is supposed to be dry as well as the operating rod piston, and the interior of the gas cylinder. Suppose to be self cleaning. Even run dry like it is supposed to, carbon will build up on the faces of the gas cylinder plug and operating rod piston. Be careful when you remove this hardened carbon that you don't scratch or damage the surfaces. It is not recommended that any abrasives be used. The plug unscrews with the use of a combination tool (looks like a screw driver)
Don't know why but there are two different sizes. I think the one that has the Chamber cleaning brush is the correct one. A combination tool identical, except it holds a cloth patch instead of the chamber brush I think is the undersized one (you will know as it will not fit in the grooves correctly to loosen the plug.

Yes, you can use it to clean with, however it is supposed to be dry as well as the operating rod piston, and the interior of the gas cylinder. Suppose to be self cleaning. Even run dry like it is supposed to, carbon will build up on the faces of the gas cylinder plug and operating rod piston. Be careful when you remove this hardened carbon that you don't scratch or damage the surfaces. It is not recommended that any abrasives be used. The plug unscrews with the use of a combination tool (looks like a screw driver)
Don't know why but there are two different sizes. I think the one that has the Chamber cleaning brush is the correct one. A combination tool identical, except it holds a cloth patch instead of the chamber brush I think is the undersized one (you will know as it will not fit in the grooves correctly to loosen the plug.

My friend is an AMSOIL distribtor. Let me ask him for ideals on this. I think he has something thst will clean the despoits and leave everything as dry as it should be.

I would be nice. Most likely it would work on those troublesome areas on other rifles like the ARs bolt and bolt carriers. Know little about them, except some are problem areas where the carbon built up turns hard. I recall in the late 50s when Garands were issued in boot camp still in cosmoline. They were cleaned in a method that isn't recommended anywhere because of safety concerns. Wash buckets were turned upside down on the grinder to sit on, and gasoline and a tooth brush were the tools used. Being outside, maybe cut down on the danger somewhat, and it did remove the coating pretty efficiently. Never repeated this method after 50 years. There are other methods and materials that were not available then.
The Breakfree and a plastic handled tooth brush sharpened down alittle does a pretty repectable job for flat surfaces. Probably not so great for smaller or odd shaped areas. A chemical means that is fairly inexpensive and easy to use would probably be totally great. These blast away products work very well on a lot of things also. :s0155:

Try PB Blaster available at Knechts. After use if needed use CRC electri-clean as it evaporates leaving it clean and dry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top