JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering what the average break in period would be for a new semi auto. Got my first one and had a few jams going through the first 50 rounds. Not sure if that is ok or not. It isn't going to be a carry gun but when should I expect to be past the break in period. Or when should I be concerned with the jams?

Each time it jammed it was when a round was trying to eject and didn't make it out before the slide closed.

Just wondering what the average break in period would be for a new semi auto. Got my first one and had a few jams going through the first 50 rounds. Not sure if that is ok or not. It isn't going to be a carry gun but when should I expect to be past the break in period. Or when should I be concerned with the jams?

Each time it jammed it was when a round was trying to eject and didn't make it out before the slide closed.

What make of gun, and what ammo?

It is a Ruger P94 in .40 cal. Not sure on the ammo. It came with the gun. Plain white box with no real info on the label. I have another box of 50 but not sure I'm going to use it considering the results of the first box. Maybe reloads? I have only had rifles, shotguns, and a 22LR revolver until now so I'm not sure what to expect out of this one.

there are several variables here.

> are you using factory ammo? what type/brand?
> did you clean/lube the gun?
> did you add any mods?
> some guns are sensative to limp wristing.

i believe that it will vary with the gun. some people feel that the gun should be 100% period. i dont. its a mechanical device and can fail for numerious reasons - operator, ammo, environment and gun.

i would run some more ammo thru. try some FMJs too.

if you still feel its not working correctly, then contact the mfg service department and let them know whats going on.

You're ruger should be working fine with factory ammo. The P-series guns are very reliable. If a different ammo doesn't fix it call Ruger after you've got a couple hundred rounds through it. I don't think they have a warranty, but they do stand behind their product.

It is a Ruger P94 in .40 cal. Not sure on the ammo. It came with the gun. Plain white box with no real info on the label. I have another box of 50 but not sure I'm going to use it considering the results of the first box. Maybe reloads? I have only had rifles, shotguns, and a 22LR revolver until now so I'm not sure what to expect out of this one.

I wouldn't break it in with reloads, try some factory ammo..Winchester, Remington, ect. You can use your other ammo after it breaks in a bit. Also you can try not loading the mags all the way to the top for a hundred rounds or so, sometimes that helps.

I have a Ruger P95 9mm and it doesn't like reloads a whole lot and occasionally jams on a couple. Factory loads seem to do the trick. Never had any problem with factory HP either. Very consistent and reliable with factory loads though... and very accurate.

Figured I would do an update on this. Ran some S&W and some Blazer through with no issues at all. Not sure what the stuff was that came with the gun but it does not seem to like it.

For any new gun - most times it isn't the gun that isn't working properly.

For most new pistol owners there are a lot of variable to make the gun not function 100% - - 75% is you and 22% is ammo.

"Toy" made a post above that covers the majority of the variables. Do try different ammo and also different shooters (hopefully more experienced ones).

Make sure you have cleaned the gun well and also do lub it accordingly. Yes, you do really need to lub it - don't shoot it dry. You can use grease or some other lub of your preference. It doesn't have to be dripping wet but it does need a nice thin coat.

Have fun shooting! Now go out and shoot some different boxes of ammo.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews