JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On Monday, 9-13-2010, I received an email from the Portland EXPO Center informing me of some of their upcoming events. I read the email and thought how nice that I now know what’s going on there.

As I re-read the email I began to wonder how they got my email address as I don’t remember ever giving it to the EXPO Center. So I called and asked them.

I was informed that ‘Collectors West’ had given them their entire email list and given permission to use it. The problem is that I never gave ‘Collectors West’ permission to give away or sell my personal information.

I have since found out that lots of people have received unexpected email from the EXPO Center.

So, if you have received an email from the EXPO Center, now you know how they got your email address.

I went to the CWI website. Right on the door prize entry form it says "Contact information will be used to update our mailing list and will be confidential" I wonder if confidential has a new meaning? Perhaps CWI is the exception? Cant help but wonder if the email list has been sold to others.

I just got 2 e-mails today from them today but no expo e-mail here is the privacy statement i just copied it from there web sight

EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY ISSUE
A couple of weeks ago I received an email newsletter from the Portland Metropolitan EXPO center. It was advertised as a medium for announcing upcoming events at the center.
In the normal course of business many exhibitors have asked why they are suddenly getting emails from the EXPO center. I encouraged them to ask the EXPO center since it originated from there.
One of my participants did so and received this reply. I redacted the name to protect the confidentially. Then copy and pasted below.
“NAME – Thank you for your call. I took the time to immediately find this information for you. Your inclusion was provided as a courtesy from Collectors West. We had approval to mail to the list provided and your email was then added to our growing listing for Sports and Outdoors. This is a new effort over the past year on the part of the Expo Center.
Our intention is for mailings roughly 4 times a year for a brief newsletter on all events over the quarter, and occasional informational postcards on specific events that meet the criteria of the given category. Timing of the mailings is dependent on staff time available. It is not our intention to over mail to people. Simply to inform them and hopefully drive attendance to the many positive events taking place here. The various categories are found here: <broken link removed> Additionally and as many others are doing, we are also participating in social media and have pages for MySpace, Facebook and Twitter. All have the intention of increasing attendees and awareness.
Should you wish to unsubscribe your current e-mail from the list, the link at the bottom of the newsletter takes you to a simple site to do so, including an option for a confirming e-mail to be sent. If you would like me to do so for you on your behalf, I am happy to assist.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Further questions you can call or e-mail me at the contact information below.
Matthew P. Rotchford
Sales and Events Manager - Portland Expo Center
503.736.5203 / 503.736.5201 fax / [email protected]
Web: Portland Metropolitan Exposition Center / MySpace / Facebook/ Twitter
Join the e-XPO Newsletter! www.expocenter.org/newsletter.htm

Most of the emails gathered were from DOOR PRIZE entry forms handed to participants when admission is paid. On these forms it clearly states, “Contact information will be used to update our mailing list and WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.”
I wish to clearly state those of us at Wes Knodel Gun Shows, Inc. do not take our commitments lightly and was not provided by us.
WES KNODEL GUN SHOWS INC. and ROSE CITY GUN SHOWS INC. ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL ONLY USE CONTACT INFORMATION TO UPDATE OUR MAILING LIST AND THAT INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL FOR ALL OTHER PURPOSES. WE DO NOT SELL OR PROVIDE THAT INFORMATION TO ANY OTHER ENTITY.
What to do?
Since the WES KNODEL GUN SHOWS email list is held in strict confidence we will never sell, barter or otherwise release it to anyone.
The Portland Metropolitan Exposition center and its employees are working diligently to provide their events with the best marketing tools available to insure us with a successful and enjoyable experience. There is confusion about two promoters doing gun shows at the same venue. I encourage anyone who wishes to participate in ANY event there, to subscribe to the EXPO newsletter.
Sincerely,
Wes Knodel

cyclesurvival - The info you posted is NOT from the promoter who gave out the email list.

'Collectors West' gave their email list to the EXPO Center, not Wes Knodel Gunshows.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top