1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

brass prices: what's fair?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Mbeef61, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Mbeef61

Mbeef61 SW PDX Active Member

I usually take my brass to the scrap/metal recycling places. I was told I may be able to get more selling for reloading. I am wondering what a fair price is? I have searched some but don't know what the current going rate is, and most of it isn't deprimed or tumbled so I don't know how to value it. I would be happy to get more than from scrapping it, and want to price it competitively to make a quick sale.

What I have:
    (everything listed below is not deprimed or tumbled, basically just shot and picked up, all factory loads, never reloaded, mixed head stamps unless written otherwise)

30-30 - 16 pieces

.38 special - 25 pieces

9mm - 417 pieces

.223/556 mix - 239 pieces (not sure on crimped primers or whatever if that matters)

.40 cal - 157 pieces

.40 cal - deprimed and tumbled - 1741 pieces.

Anyone know a fair value before these go to scrap?
  2. NWCustomFirearms

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

3. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Weigh up the whole bunch, apply going rate for brass. Double the total $$ and offer up the whole bunch at that price. People here on the forum will inform you, most likely in a nice way, if you are out of line. People will most likely want you to separate the calibers. I can only speak for the handgun brass....

9mm and .40 = $.03-$.04 each
    .38 = $.05-$.07

Deprimed and tumbled doesn't mean anything to me as I tumble my own and feel I need to size it myself. Though most resold brass is usually tumbled.

Good luck with the sale. Your doing a good thing keeping that brass from the scrapper

Thank You!
  4. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Pretty much what mike said... I often buy bulk unsorted brass for about $.40/lb over scrap. Sorted it may be worth $1/lb over scrap.