JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a stainless Rossi 92 in .357 Mag and ended up ordering the stainless follower ($25) and spring ($16) from Steve's Gunz, who seems to have a good reputation in the Rossi 92 community. https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_9&products_id=8 I haven't installed them yet, but he doesn't sell a brass one I can see. If he's been tuning them for a while, it seems like he would focus on what works the best. Of course, that could just be flawed logic. Ultimately, I wanted a follower that wasn't plastic and this fit the bill.

Good luck with your search!

I don't see any reason not to have a brass one. You will probably be the only one to ever see it. My 22 tube feed guns most all have brass tubes, I'd think if there was a problem it would have shown up by now. Good Luck DR

Is there a real reason to change the follower? Other than it's real funky looking down in there on such a cool looking rifle? Couldn't they have made it black? Or even dark gray? But bright green? Bleck.

Is there a real reason to change the follower? Other than it's real funky looking down in there on such a cool looking rifle? Couldn't they have made it black? Or even dark gray? But bright green? Bleck.
Normally I would say no reason but I have had the plastic follower hang up twice when I try to load one too many rounds in the tube. I know I should just count to 8 but when shooting and loading I tend to load until it won't take another round. Hopefully the metal follower will fix my ineptness.

I don't have any experience with a plastic follower in a carbine, but the garbage plastic follower that came in my 20-gauge Remington 870 was absolute garbage. Did I mention it was garbage? After attempting to sand it down to get it to function properly, I finally bought an SBE Precision aluminum alloy follower for $18.99 and the gun has been perfect since. Why a company has to skimp on a part that is integral to the proper functioning of the firearm is beyond me. Reminds me of the high dollar REI tent my son bought. The tent is great, but the stakes included are pitiful and there are only enough stakes for the corners and doors. I guess they are just too expensive to include enough for the four built-in guy-lines. But I digress...

As for the OP's question, I like the logic on choosing brass.

My thought on brass vs stainless is that stainless on stainless can gaul while brass will "wear in". with use. I bought this one:
I was checking out the one you linked and happened upon this page by the very same people you bought a brass one from: https://beartoothmercantile.com/blog/brass-or-stainless-followers/

The gist of it is the brass will be a little smoother and wear out first rather than wearing out your magazine tube, but it is also the same color as a brass cartridge so may be difficult to see when the rifle is empty as easily. At least according to them.

Edit: You're making me rethink my stainless followers. Haha!

I was checking out the one you linked and happened upon this page by the very same people you bought a brass one from: https://beartoothmercantile.com/blog/brass-or-stainless-followers/

The gist of it is the brass will be a little smoother and wear out first rather than wearing out your magazine tube, but it is also the same color as a brass cartridge so may be difficult to see when the rifle is empty as easily. At least according to them.

Edit: You're making me rethink my stainless followers. Haha!
Bottom line is that anything is better than the plastic POS. If I'm wearing out magazine followers shooting 44 Mag I've probably worn out the rest of the gun as well. I do like the gun and the next up grade is a Skinner peep sight but I don't think I'll wear it out. My pattern is to buy a gun, shoot it as is for while then fix, tune and accessorize to my liking. Shoot it a bit more then put it back in the safe and move on to the next "project".

Normally I would say no reason but I have had the plastic follower hang up twice when I try to load one too many rounds in the tube. I know I should just count to 8 but when shooting and loading I tend to load until it won't take another round. Hopefully the metal follower will fix my ineptness.
Okay. Good info. That hasn't been an issue as we're in the habit of only loading 5 rounds in pretty much everything we shoot. Don't know why, just a habit we got into when we started playing with guns. We even use a modified to hold 5 round enblock clip in the Garands.

And when they are saying "Puma", that is the same .20" barrel stainless Rossi "P"92? The P is for Puma?

Okay. Good info. That hasn't been an issue as we're in the habit of only loading 5 rounds in pretty much everything we shoot. Don't know why, just a habit we got into when we started playing with guns. We even use a modified to hold 5 round enblock clip in the Garands.
I've been know to play "happy can" so in the heat of the loser buys the hamburger game it's easy to just keep stuffing the round in until it's full.

Now days they are made by Taurus.
:eek:
I think, but I may be wrong, that the Puma name was when the Rossi's were made by Braz-Tech and imported by Interarms. Now days they are made by Taurus.
Our little M92 says
Made In Brazil By CBC
Braztech International Miami, Florida

I felt like this gun was basically new. No marks or enough crud in the chamber/barrel to speak of, more than test rounds. And considering how fricking dirty my, so far, limited experience with .45 colt is? tha a filthy cartridge!

I bought mine new 3 or 4 years ago, says made in Brazil by Taurus, imported by Braztec, Miami Fla. As far as 45 Colt being dirty, I'd say some powders are dirtier than others particularly with light loads so you've got to fine the powder/load combination you like best.

I gave it a thought for awhile......

What is dissimilar metal corrosion?

• Dissimilar metal corrosion may also be known as galvanic corrosion or bimetallic corrosion. When dissimilar metals come into contact with electrolytes such as condensation, rainwater or other sources such as oil, dirt and airborne particles, it can produce an electrochemical reaction.
BUT, But, but..........

I_know_nothing.jpg

IF it concerns you.........maybe, you should/could check on that.

Aloha, Mark

I bought mine new 3 or 4 years ago, says made in Brazil by Taurus, imported by Braztec, Miami Fla. As far as 45 Colt being dirty, I'd say some powders are dirtier than others particularly with light loads so you've got to fine the powder/load combination you like best.
This is true. I've only had the opportunity to use Unique at 8 gr with both 200gr coated and 250 gr molly coated. I do have some I haven't shot yet with HP-38 at 6.7 and 7.2 grains under the 200 gr coated.

You can edge closer to 10 grs with the Unique
I figured that, but the 250 gr lead bullets increased recoil for Wifey to the noticeable range. And was just as dirty as with the 200 gr polymer coated. Folks in the know of .45 colt suggested the heavier bullet would allow a cleaner burn. Used a good firm crimp too. I only have about a half pound of unique anyway. I'm going to get her an attractive butt pad for it. In the mean time I'm hoping the HP38 may help. But I don't know.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top