JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had an interesting problem with some 5.56 brass when I started to trim the cases. My press is an RCBS and the cases all slid into the shell holder with no issue. However, my trimmer is a Hornady as is the holder that I use with it. Out of 100 mil. surplus cases about a dozen would not slide into the Hornady shell holder. Most went in without a problem and a few fit with some resistance. I reload 5 other calibers and have yet to have this problem,but this is my fist go round with military cases so that has me wondering if it's the cases that are inconsistent. I guess for now I'll go buy another shell holder and see if the problem cases slide in.

I run into this now and then. I just figured it was from inconsistency with the brass lots. There are alot of more experianced reloaders on here than I.So I am courious to see the responses

The Hornady shell holders tend to be more "caliber/case" specific than RCBS or Lee. I had the same problem with the Hornady shell holder. The big problem with .223/5.56 brass that's shot in autoloaders is that the rifle can be quite hard on the case. Lots of extractor rings are distorted or damaged. Some brass is overpressured and has ejector "half moon" bulges on it.

Take a piece of the troublesome brass and first rub the case head on a sharpening stone. Look for raised bright marks. Chances are you'll find on right where the extractor or ejector contact the case. Then take the case and insert it head first into a case gauge. Again, chances are that it won't easily enter the gauge due to dings, dents, or deformation of the head itself.

The rejection rate on 5.56mm brass, in my experience, is high. The military only wants to use it once and their weapons are not that kind to it.

I had the same problem with the shell holder on the Lee single stage, there's been no issue on the Dillion 550B. I'm guessing its probably the military brass, since I have no problem with the commercial PMC or Remington.

Thanks for the replies. Considering I that I got 1000 rounds and Colt AR free from my father-in-law, even if I have to toss out 10% of the brass I still won't have to buy any for a while.

My suggestion is go out and spend the $5 on a lee shellholder... that will likely solve the problem.

If you were hand prepping this brass for a future in your nice new single shot I would worry about it, otherwise I would just go buy a new shellholder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top