JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wet tumbler here with a QT66 rock tumbler (dual drums). Also added a cheap food dehydrator from WM for quicker drying. Not looking back ever. Only use my dry tumbler to remove lube off of loaded rounds.

I am a shooter, not a reloader and I shoot a lot. My reloading batches are 500-1000+ in rifle almost every month. Reloading became a chore so now I only clean my brass and don't waste time or money on making shiny. I would skip cleaning too if it did't help with sizing and firearm reliability.

Everything I do and buy is to save reloading time. I tumble in the biggest Dillon tumbler with bulk walnut media. I have thought about using a small concrete mixer instead to run less, bigger batches. I have avoided wet tumbling because the extra rinsing and drying steps and dealing with stainless pins. I already rinse and dry in my process to save time elsewhere so I know what it takes. Walnut media cleans decent, it is low labor and is forgiving in the reloading process.

If going the dry route check your local feed stores for walnut or corn cob media. You can typically find it at a fraction of the price of sporting goods stores and you support local business. I toss in a couple of ripped up dryer sheets into the tumbler to manage dust. That and a cap full of brass polish and you are in business.

I have found that walnut works best for cleaning brass, and corn cob works best for making them nice and shiny.

I'm in the none-of-the-above category. I used a wet tumbler and steel media for several years. I ultimately decided I was getting no value from cleaning beyond what I could do with a rag by hand and save myself the trouble.

I do only relatively small batches of rifle loading (50-100 at a time), so I recognize that hand cleaning may not be practical for large volume work.

Reloading became a chore so now I only clean my brass and don't waste time or money on making shiny. I would skip cleaning too if it did't help with sizing and firearm reliability.
I am not certain of the sizing and reliability benefits perceived from cleaning. I don't think I'm missing any by hand cleaning and I consider leaving some carbon in the necks to be an advantage.

Just another option, depending on your loading volume/needs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top