JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use dry tumbling with walnut media for pistol brass, and wet tumbling with SS media for rifle brass.

Really is user preference. Welcome to the world of brass cleaning!

If you're just starting reloading and fairly new to firearms, I'd suggest the vibratory tumbler with walnut media. With a little bit of liquid car polish. That's the least expensive way to get into it, and if down the road you get into the wet/stainless pin method, or sonic, you'll always be able to sell to another beginner.

Or until you do some research on the different methods of brass cleaning and decide get a heavy cotton sack (but fairly porous) and fill it with your brass, tie it off and throw in in the wash with a heavy clothing load.

It actually works quite well!

Or until you do some research on the different methods of brass cleaning and decide get a heavy cotton sack (but fairly porous) and fill it with your brass, tie it off and throw in in the wash with a heavy clothing load.

It actually works quite well!
The wife would disagree with you. :eek:

I'm new also and decided to start w/ dry.

I'm using the Berry QD500 tumbler which is quite quiet and has removable basket.
Also using walnut shell (fine) from HarborFreight or lizard litter from Amz and either Flitz additive or NuFinish

Ditto this!

I transitioned from dry to liquid about five years ago.
Since a portion of my shop is set up for reloading and there are times a breeze can blow through it, I switched to wet tumbling with SS pins several years ago to avoid the dust from the dry media from getting onto my lungs.

As far as dust is concerned, I've been using a capful of mineral spirits in the tumbler with each load. Wets down the media well and no perceivable dust that I can tell.

I could keep going but you get the point. There is alot of info in this section already.

I started with a tumbler not vibratory and walnut media but switched to wet and stainless.

I've only wet tumbled.

Started with a Harbor Freight double drum rock polisher, and did a homemade large drum for it. Then upgraded to the Franklin Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (FART).

Franklin also has a smaller drum unit, the "Lite". $85 currently at Midway.

While the FART is $144, currently at midway.

Looks like from reviews that the Lite can process 750 9mm brass at a time. While I have no idea how many 9mm brass the FART can process at a time, its a lot. I do about a #10 coffee can load full at a time...

Other cost outlays for wet tumbling are: car wash/wax (cheap), lemishine (cheap), media (I use egg shaped chips from SouthernShine-cheap comparatively), case separator (RCBS $35 at Midway), Lyman case dryer ($60 at midway).

-Home made spray lube for when I get into rifle proccessing (~$25??- forget now but not more- Lanolin & Methanol).

For drying, you can sun dry if you decap first. I normally don't decap 9mm anymore before tumbling, so went with the Lyman dryer. It dries them out nice still primed, plus handles a #10 coffee can load. One can also use an oven set on low.

Everyone will have tips, tricks and whatnot for any method used (wet or dry).

What you, as the new to reloading should think on, is which method will suit you best moving forwards. Include cost outlay and proccessng time/convenience in such.

Looking back, I should have just gone with the FART & Lyman case dryer rite off the bat! But that's me.

Not to dissuade one from dry, as I've never done such, mayhaps look towards folks whom mention they used to do dry and have since switched over?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top