JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With my havin a recent love affair with my AR pistols, I figured that it was about time to look into a BRASS CATCHER. Tired of bending over to pick up my brass.
Doin some searchin, I found a few. Seems like the negatives are melting, getting multiple mounts for different guns without buying a new bag for every gun, and brass kicking back into the bolt & jammin.

Found 1 on Amazon that caught my eye.

BRASS CATCHER AMAZON.jpg

Ordered it up and had it in a few days.
I tested it out on my AR9 with the ECHO BINARY trigger.
This particular unit had an adjustment on the bag for fore and aft placement, not just relying on the rail placement.

The 1st mag I got a jam with the bag centered. I then moved the bag to the rear and ran it again.

ECHO 012.jpg ECHO 013.jpg

BINGO! No jams. Ran a few more 33 rnd mags on full Binary and had no issues.
Having the 2nd mount is nice.
I had no melting, Haven't run it yet with my AR15 or AR10, just the AR9 and AR10mm.

What, is that little plate the backboard and the brass then falls into the bag, or does the whole assembly attach to the top of the rail?
I picked one up at Fisherman's for $25 that velcros over the upper. Works great, packs away neatly. All I need to do is remember to bring it with me when I head out for some shooting.

[edit to add] Never thought brass catchers could be so complicated....

Heres a pic of the receiver.
The dimples on the inside are for depth adjustment of the bag relative to the gun.
You can see the 2 allens for adjustment on the rail.

BRASS CATCHER 2.jpg

I have one of these and the biggest complaint I have is when I forget to zip the bottom.

Ordered it up and had it in a few days.
I tested it out on my AR9 with the ECHO BINARY trigger.
This particular unit had an adjustment on the bag for fore and aft placement, not just relying on the rail placement.

The 1st mag I got a jam with the bag centered. I then moved the bag to the rear and ran it again.

View attachment 689847 View attachment 689848

Yes, these like the bags to be behind the brass deflector otherwise you deflect and it can hit the bag bouncing it back into the chamber.

The nice pocket behind the deflector and the forward assist is a great place for it to sit.

I am thinking I am going to need to get some kind of cage, like a batting cage, for shooting on my personal range.

I have a number of problems:

1) First and foremost, my range is very ad-hoc. Just some sloping ground (down towards a gully on my property) with a minimal backstop. The ground has a LOT of tall grass/undergrowth, which makes it very difficult to find spent brass.

2) I have a number of different guns, ranging from pistols to rifles. A few have rails, most of the rifles do not. No one brass catcher is going to work for all of these guns.

3) Some guns eject from the bottom (e.g., PS90), most from the side. They all eject to a different spot on the ground. Sunday I was shooting a rifle that would eject spent casings a good 20-30 feet to the side and 30-40 feet forward - it was steel casings so I didn't even bother to try to find them. A different rifle I was shooting ejected the brass forward and to the side about 10 feet. Pistols are all over the place.

Putting a tarp down probably won't help, although I have not tried it.

I don't want to buy a catcher for each different firearm.

:s0092::s0153::(

When benched with the AR, I just put my range bag near to the ejection port standing on its side so the opening faces correctly.

If shooting otherwise, a tarp works best for me. Catches 90% I'd say. Pick it up and fold it in a way so that I can funnel all the brass into a bucket.

Tarp user here. I shoot outdoors with family and/or friends, and a large tarp is the most expedient way to corral brass from multiple firearms. It would be awkward if I was alone, but with others around we just grab a corner and funnel the brass into a 5-gallon bucket. Sort and clean when we get home.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top