Buster Beaver Cerakote
RifleClass.com
Defensive Arts
Low Price Guns
Sporting Systems
Oregon Rifleworks
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Brass bullets - solids or jacketed

Reactions
Hello shooters, and reloaders alike!

I have had a thought in the back of my mind for some years it seems, about the possibility of melting down old, spent brass shells into bullets. I did some search and found that solid brass bullets for use in handguns is illegal because they are considered armor-piercing, but the same is not considered true for rifle rounds. So, keeping this to rifle rounds, has anyone any solid info about melting down brass into rifle rounds, solid or jacketed? Maybe, even consider reloading shot shells for shotty's. I would like to get into more "green" reloading. Thanks!!

Reactions
I think this would be way more trouble than it would be worth.
For starters what would you use to melt the brass and maintain its melting temperature?
I was once reading about machined brass bullets and they were slightly undersized since they will not 'swage' to the bore like lead does.
I highly doubt brass would pour and cast like lead does.

I think all copper bullets are turned? No idea really
Copper projectiles might be roll formed, though the ones I've bought all looked cast.
You will find brass solids for dangerous game rounds like the 416 Rigby. I bought a box of 400gr pills back when I had that beast.

Reactions
Brass bullets?!...

Why not just go all the way and make an AR-10 from spent brass casings?

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place friendly service always take time to help you, great knowledge of products
    • RJSouth
  • Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Perfect install of peep sight on my cz 527 carbine. Price was right, was expecting it to be more. Will be my go to for anything I can't handle...
    • cd90caprice
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been party to a couple transactions with Steve and he is a great guy to deal with.
    • titsonritz
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Purchased two handguns there and have one on consignment now nice folks!
    • rl280
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to help my buddy with his purchase and ended up trading in a 1911 towards a CZ SP-01 Tactical. They gave a higher price that some of the...
    • nosbocaj

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online