Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Brass 12 gage shells?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TerryS, Oct 7, 2011.

1. TerryS

TerryS In a van down by the river. New Member

My grandfather recently passed and left me some of his belongings. In one of the boxes I found a small cardboard box of shells that appear to be made entirely of brass. The box itself says No. 00 BUCKSHOT M19.

The top or cap of each shell has 00 BUCK printed on it. The rim has REM-UMC No 12 BEST stamped into it.

Any ideas where these may have come from, or when?

2. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

World war I or WWII stuff Millitary issue most likely. Paper hulls didn't last to long in the rainy muddy or humid warfare conditions

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That box of shells could have some nice collectors value. I would be very careful with it until you find out.

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

Lots of interest in those old bras shells,myself included.They're not worth a ton of money,but definatlely have some value,especially if the box is pristine,and full,and and..

5. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Well, it's pretty clearly US military ammo, this ammo was standard from WW2 through vietnam. I have a bunch of these on my desk at work. They are reloadable.

6. FMJ 911

FMJ 911 Snohomish, Washington Active Member

I have about 50-60 of these. They appear to be in good condition, and I know that they would work in an emergency, but for now, they are collector's items.

7. pyattkid

pyattkid Northwest Arkansas New Member

I have a box of those brass M19 shells, and the box is in good shape. I have been wondering how to locate a collector that might be interested in them.

8. best defense

best defense Beaverton, OR Active Member

I still have a handfull of those left over from my milatary days. It is real stout ammo. The stuff I have was made for the Marines. Recoil is viscous. The stuff bites at both ends.

Since you can still buy all brass shotgun shells, they don't bring lots of money from collectors, but the military markings may help some. The box is probably worth more than the ammo.

Don't shoot them in older guns. Too much pressure.