JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And can someone please define "like new" for me? Classified after classified says "like new" or "like new in box." That word "like" is so, you know, like misused. It's like as if we should know what it means, but it's like misleading, ya know? Like enough already. Like come on, man!
If you check the NRA grading standards, you will find good information as how to grade a firearm. Unfortunately, there are those that would skew the definitions.
Best,
Gary

Not bashing Glocks, just their marketing phrases. They are incongruous to me (perfection, yet Gen 5). Most Glock owners I've met are happy with their choice; awesome for them. I won't jump the shark and derail another thread into a Glock bash. Keeping with the origin of this thread of statements / marketing that do not seem to hold true to their word, both Vortex and Glock do come to mind however. (Vortex, they have an amazing lifetime warrantee...because you will need it.)

It reminds me of early Japanese import cars. In the 70's and 80's I know many folks that told me how good their imports were compared to my Chevys. Then they would proceed to tell me they only had to replace the brakes (3x as often as I did), oh, and this once or twice. Mine always seemed to live twice as long as theirs as well. Marketing.

There is plenty of this with both used, resale (NIB...ish) and new projects (our product will make you run faster and jump higher). Caveat Emptor.
Perfect gets perfecter…… I made a new word. One generation at a time. Haha

download.jpeg-34.jpg

I understand and agree with your descriptions, the one that got me going was "brand new, only fifty rounds fired" well I am sorry but that gun is now used, it can be excellent, to like-new condition but you are only a virgin once.
For what it's worth, when an ad says "only fifty rounds fired" I don't buy that either.
Do I have trust issues?

Certain advertising gets a chuckle out of me... Ran when parked...! So unpark it and anything goes...!? My favorite... Runs rough, but just needs a $10 part... Well, just put the same $10 part in and be done with it...!?
What really torques me out is the word VINTAGE...! Way over used, nondescriptive and another word for antique, when item is not. The word is meant and derived from winemaking and vintners. " So, that '88 Smith is from the north end of the factory? Jolly good..!"

come on people, a rifle, or pistol or whatever is not "brand new" with only x # of rounds down the pipe. they can only be brand new one time, fresh from the factory and unfired by the end consumer. let's get this straight once and for all!
TL;DR all of the thread - but many guns are test fired at the factory, at least once. The S&W 460V I just traded for a rifle yesterday, had a spent casing from the factory (for MA compliancy).

I really don't care if a firearm has had maybe 20 or 30 or even 50 rounds thru it (assuming they weren't all proof rounds or hot handloads) - if that is all it has had, to me, it most firearms that have only that many rounds, are as good as new - unless you absolutely want it to be "unfired" (like my Win '92 Trapper Takedown was - and I say "was" because when I got it home, I just had to put one round thru it and then put it away).

YMMV - whatever

This is hilariously topical today.
Just browsing the classifieds near me ( and they're few) and see "like new" in revolver description. Quick zoom in shows rust , in particular heavy rust on the grip screw .

Maybe I'm just to picky.
Maybe rusty guns ship new from the Philippines.
Maybe....this is what it sounds like, when doves cry.

TL;DR all of the thread - but many guns are test fired at the factory, at least once. The S&W 460V I just traded for a rifle yesterday, had a spent casing from the factory (for MA compliancy).

I really don't care if a firearm has had maybe 20 or 30 or even 50 rounds thru it (assuming they weren't all proof rounds or hot handloads) - if that is all it has had, to me, it most firearms that have only that many rounds, are as good as new - unless you absolutely want it to be "unfired" (like my Win '92 Trapper Takedown was - and I say "was" because when I got it home, I just had to put one round thru it and then put it away).

YMMV - whatever
agreed, I can deal with a gun that has been fired plenty. just don't call it "brand new"

Not bashing Glocks, just their marketing phrases. They are incongruous to me (perfection, yet Gen 5). Most Glock owners I've met are happy with their choice; awesome for them. I won't jump the shark and derail another thread into a Glock bash. Keeping with the origin of this thread of statements / marketing that do not seem to hold true to their word, both Vortex and Glock do come to mind however. (Vortex, they have an amazing lifetime warrantee...because you will need it.)

It reminds me of early Japanese import cars. In the 70's and 80's I know many folks that told me how good their imports were compared to my Chevys. Then they would proceed to tell me they only had to replace the brakes (3x as often as I did), oh, and this once or twice. Mine always seemed to live twice as long as theirs as well. Marketing.

There is plenty of this with both used, resale (NIB...ish) and new projects (our product will make you run faster and jump higher). Caveat Emptor.
It was as perfect as they could make it with the ideas that they had at the time. As their ideas/experience changed their idea of perfection changed as well.

Example:

When I was in high school I thought my slut girlfriend was perfect. As I gained more experience and lived more life my idea of what was perfect changed and the qualities that I considered perfection evolved. For example, the woman had to be more than just available to me for lots of sex, being able to make a good sandwich, and being willing to carry a gun was also important. Hence "perfection" can change based on perception.

There are a few items I would buy for the history. John Wayne's 45 Colt that was up for auction a couple of years ago comes to mind. Another (which was reasonably priced, and I kick myself for not buying) was a Trapdoor rifle here local to me. Bought by a guy back east as surplus from a hardware store early 1900s (came with the original receipt). It also came with his hand written journal of him walking across the US over the succeeding couple of years. Finally settling in California. Journal was interesting, and mentioned taking game with the rifle both on the trip west, and after he finally settled. I really should have bought this one. Especially since it was a good price...oh well.
Fine example of when "Buy the gun, not the story" does not apply. A gun's history (particularly when it can be verified: Provenance) can add significant value to the gun, and the historical owner need not be John Wayne or anybody at all famous or of notoriety.

This is why I encourage people whose Grandfathers (or Dads, or Moms) have a gun ''with a story" to ask Grandpa or Dad or Mom to write down (or narrate to someone to write down) the story. Standard reporting criteria apply; names, dates, times and places. if Grandpa ''requisitioned' that Luger from a German Officer that didn't need it anymore, such documentation may double the value of the gun (or more). In the telling of the story for written record, Grandpa may remember details (and information that supports the story) that the family has not heard before.

Even when the purpose is with no monetary value added, the story ("the deer Grandma shot to feed the family when Grandpa was gone looking for work") may be of immense value to the family member that may inherit the gun.

There is value in stories.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top