JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I want to get a general opinion on these two firearms. I'm looking to get an affordable range plinker and training pistol for my family members that are a little intimidated by higher caliber pistols.

I've narrowed the search to these two. I found a new Ruger 22/45 and a used Sig Mosquito TT for around $290.

Was curious what members thought about one pistol vs. the other in these catagories:
  • Cost
  • Reliability
  • Ease of Use
  • Ease of Maintenance
  • Other (fun factor, etc)

Thanks in advance guys!:s0155:

The Ruger, IMHO is the better of the two. You said that cost was about the same, ease of use should be about the same. The Ruger will be a little harder to filed strip but not bad and should last your life time and be passed on to your kids. Either will have a high fun factor, whats not to like about shooting 22s.

Also there are a lot of aftermarket parts and accessories for the Ruger, not so much for the Sig.

Thanks for the advice.

Yea..I enjoy shooting the Ruger. I was shy'd away from it hearing nightmares about field stripping. I've seen a couple really good videos on youtube that breaks it down really easily.

The Ruger will be more reliable, and eat more types of ammo. If you like the look of the Sig, check out the Ruger SR22 pistol. It's in the same price range, and easier to field strip.

I had a mosquito that was ok. Reliability was good if you used mini mags but anything else was iffy. I just bought a 22/45 and am excited to take it out this weekend. I've already field stripped it, it wasn't that difficult. Just watch the video a few times and have it on while you're taking it apart.

The Rugers are great little guns. My dad has a MkII Gov't target that is a sweet shooter. I just picked up a standard Mk III over the weekend that I have yet to take to the range.

Check out the Ruger Mk II instead of the Mk III. It doesn't have any of the safety nonsense on it like the loaded chamber indicator (all guns are always loaded) or magazine block (never understood the point of requiring a magazine to be inserted to pull the trigger).

Check out the Ruger Mk II instead of the Mk III. It doesn't have any of the safety nonsense on it like the loaded chamber indicator (all guns are always loaded) or magazine block (never understood the point of requiring a magazine to be inserted to pull the trigger).

+1 When I purchase a 22/45 I picked up the MkII as the MkIII where just coming out and where getting rid of a Walther P22 because of the mag safety.

Thanks for the advice guys. For some reason, I like the look of the old WWII/Walther P38's. Although that SR22 is a pretty pistol and has been getting a lot of good reviews.

I have both a Ruger Mark II and Mark III 22/45's. They both are Stainless Steel 5.5" Bull Barrel models. I did the mag release mod on the MK III, so it can now be shot without the mag in it, as well as making field stripping much easier by not having to insert the mag and removing multiple times. The loaded chamber indicator can be removed and the slot filled, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Both the MKII and MK III shoot any and all ammo I have put through them. Field stripping gets easier each time I do it.

I was looking into the GSG 1911-22 when I found the MK II for too good of a price, and I have not been disappointed with my purchase.

I have shot a Sig that my buddy owned, and it would not go through a mag without multiple issues (FTF, FTE, etc). He ended up selling it and getting a P22 which is fun to shoot, but I definitely like the Rugers better.

Haven't seen/shot an SR22 yet, but am definitley interested, as I believe you cannot have too many 22's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

How easy was that mod to do? I wouldn't mind changing mine.

A buddy of mine did it for me, but it didn't look too difficult. Check out RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! and look in the 22/45 section. It is called the 'slingshot mod'. There are several posts and links as to how to do it. Once it is done, the mags literally fly out when you press the mag release button.

When I had that mod done, I also had him install a Volquartsen target sear, and that smoothed out the trigger pull.

Good luck on it, you will not regret the mod.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

I had a Ruger Mark III Hunter, an amazing gun and a blast to shoot. Most accurate pistol I ever shot. I just got a Ruger 22/45 last month that seems just as accurate and reliable with every type of ammo I've tried in it Also, the 22/45 has the same grip agle and general configuration as a 1911 (ergo the "45" part of the designation, or so I've heard). It's not a perfect 1911 simulation, but I've already found it's a great way to practice fundamentals without the distraction of the extra recoil and blast you get with a .45 round. Also, if you want to upgrade it, there are tons of after-market parts including easy to install trigger and sight upgrades that make it even more accurate. One note. Don't get the cheapest 22/45 model. It has fixed non-adjustable sights and doesn't include one of the coolest things about the 22/45 series - the rail that's included with all of the models with adjustable sights. The adjustable sight equipped models are pre-tapped so you can simply install the included rail with three screws (also included). This allows you to install a scope or red-dot sight with no trouble at all. It's also the only one of the mainstream 22 pistols (Browning/Sig/Beretta/Ruger) that lets you add a rail without removing the other sights. Or at least I think that's the case. Very cool little gun.

The mod you are looking for is actually the safety disconnect. To do it you merely have to remove the magazine safety disconnect and replace the mark III hammer bushing with a mark II hammer bushing. The slingshot mod removes the ball detent from the bolt stop. This allows you to "slingshot" the bolt like you would a 1911. Like others have said rimfire central has many posts about this.

I bought a new Ruger MkIII 22/45 w/fixed grips for $235. But if I had it to do over again I would look for a nice used MkII Target and skip all the new safety stuff as well as a metal frame. I have since modded my base model 22/45 a bit and really like the way it handles and shoots now.

:s0155:
attachment.php?attachmentid=35190&stc=1&d=1329785428.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'll answer your bullet points one by one as an owner of both:

Cost:

You can get a Ruger 22/45 for as little as ~$200 and get nice threaded barrels versions for 300+. A Sig is usually around $300 standard and only goes up from there depending on finish and barrel type.
Also Sig mags cost an arm and a leg (around $40 last I checked, and that was if you could find them) and some are polymer instead of metal. Meanwhile Ruger mags are available and about half as much.

Ruger 1, Sig 0

Reliability:

Hands down, no debate the Ruger absolutely shines here. It just chews up everything I've put in it from Federal, CCI, Remington, etc.

The Mosquito is finicky, picky, and just unreliable with certain brands. I once had an entire Mag fail to cycle properly with federal and if you can't shoot the cheap stuff, why bother with rimfire at all?

Ruger 2, Sig 0

Ease of Use:

The Ruger's controls try their best to mimic a 1911 and for the most part succeed. The grip angle is nice and the controls give positive feedback. The slide stop is a bit weird to get used to as it functions as the only release for the bolt but its nothing that some use won't overcome. The trigger is decent but it won't set the world on fire.

The Sig actually does well in this one. All the controls are just like the big brother Sigs, the safety position is okay. But the mag release, slide stop, and decocker are all excellent. But the DA trigger pull is absolutely dreadful, grainy and long, the SA is the only way to fire this pistol and have it be fun.

Push. Ruger 2, Sig 0

Ease of Maintenance:

The Ruger requires more time, patience, and effort to disassemble but thankfully there are videos and tips to help this process along. That said it still isn't ideal and requires more effort than a pistol should.

The Sig fares much better. Take down pin is easy to remove and the slide comes off easily. After that its just a matter of cleaning the usual parts and putting back together after some lube.

Ruger 2, Sig 1

Other (fun factor, etc)

This one is tough to decide as Other is really subjective. I like the looks of both but the Sig is just cooler looking to me but I've had more fun with my Ruger because it is more reliable.

In the end going bang every time and knowing that it was with cheap ammo in inexpensive mags is more fun than any Mosquito will ever be. I can also mount a rail for optics or on certain models a laser/flashlight. A Mosquito only has a bottom rail.

Ruger 3, Sig 1.

That's just my thoughts after owning and firing both: I'd stick with a 22/45, more options and better performance.

I had a sig once for about a week then sold it. It was very unreliable any only worked with a limited types of ammo.

My ruger has yet to find ammo it cannot shoot well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top