JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was ordering all the stuff for my first reloading bench and couldn't find a 9mm die set in stock anywhere. Eventually I found one on eBay but just realized today somehow I ordered a 9x18 makarov. Oops. Anyone know where I could get ahold of one in stock? My stuff is going to be here by this weekend and I'm really excited to get started. Best I can find is a used RCBS 3 die set on eBay for around $70+shipping.

Thanks!

I was ordering all the stuff for my first reloading bench and couldn't find a 9mm die set in stock anywhere. Eventually I found one on eBay but just realized today somehow I ordered a 9x18 makarov. Oops. Anyone know where I could get ahold of one in stock? My stuff is going to be here by this weekend and I'm really excited to get started. Best I can find is a used RCBS 3 die set on eBay for around $70+shipping.

Thanks!
As always happens when there is a panic, you can still buy anything, its all a matter of how much do you want to pay or how long do you want to wait. You can buy a set right now if you want them bad enough. If you want them at normal price? Then it's a matter of keep looking and waiting. As with ammo, powder, primers, it's all coming out of the factories daily. If someone sends a link to a store showing they have them at "normal price" right now then it's likely by the time you see it and look it's gone. Many places will let you sign up to be notified as stock comes in. I bought a Lee 4 dies set of 9mm Luger just a couple weeks ago for a co worker off Amazon. Had to keep looking for a few days and a set popped up and I grabbed them.

As always happens when there is a panic, you can still buy anything, its all a matter of how much do you want to pay or how long do you want to wait. You can buy a set right now if you want them bad enough. If you want them at normal price? Then it's a matter of keep looking and waiting. As with ammo, powder, primers, it's all coming out of the factories daily. If someone sends a link to a store showing they have them at "normal price" right now then it's likely by the time you see it and look it's gone. Many places will let you sign up to be notified as stock comes in. I bought a Lee 4 dies set of 9mm Luger just a couple weeks ago for a co worker off Amazon. Had to keep looking for a few days and a set popped up and I grabbed them.
I'm probably going to buy the eBay set, just was hoping for a miracle I guess. I don't really mind paying a bit more, just excited and want to start learning.

I'm probably going to buy the eBay set, just was hoping for a miracle I guess. I don't really mind paying a bit more, just excited and want to start learning.
Make sure you get what you need this time then. Just took a quick look at Ebay and could only find one set and they were over what it would cost to buy 3 sets, ouch. Also best to hold out for a carbide set if you are going to pay scalper price anyway. The carbide is FAR better for ease of use.

Wow, hard for me to comprehend that 9mm Luger dies are out everywhere. Must be part of the current famine of gun stuff.

Hornady die sets are good stuff. I have a .38 Spec./.357 set that I now prefer over my older RCBS set.

Be wary of buying used die sets online. You can't easily tell if a sizing die is all scratched up until you use it. Sometimes sellers themselves don't know a set is bad; it's something that came in to them in a bunch of other stuff.

With the ammo famine, must be a lot of people have newly taken up reloading. And this may, in part, explain the famine of small pistol primers. All those people now loading their own 9mm.

Nice, thanks man! A couple minutes before you posted that I found a carbide set directly from rcbs's website and snatched it up. I've been looking all day and just now found it. Thanks everyone!
Good find and considering the way it's going $70 is not bad at all for a Carbide set like that. Carbide is the way to go when possible. I would highly recommend watching for a Lee Factory Crimp die in the caliber for whenever you can find one. Well worth the extra step when you start rolling. Enjoy!

Good find and considering the way it's going $70 is not bad at all for a Carbide set like that. Carbide is the way to go when possible. I would highly recommend watching for a Lee Factory Crimp die in the caliber for whenever you can find one. Well worth the extra step when you start rolling. Enjoy!
When I ordered a bunch of other equipment from Midway I picked up a lee factory crimp die. I ordered the lee 3pc from eBay but by the time I found it I was burnt out from looking and didn't notice it was a makarov. My intention was to have a complete lee 4 pc die set since the 3 die set came with the case with the empty slot for the factory crimp die. Oh well, good excuse to go buy a makarov now :):)

A carbide set is just a carbide ring in the first die, the one that resizes. The difference is you do not have to use case lube for the sizing operation. Saves some time and work.
My understanding is there are steel dies, carbide dies, and then the hornady ones seem to have a titanium nitride ring in the resizer. While I do understand why the carbide is there, I'm interested in how the nitride does compared to the carbide

My understanding is there are steel dies, carbide dies, and then the hornady ones seem to have a titanium nitride ring in the resizer. While I do understand why the carbide is there, I'm interested in how the nitride does compared to the carbide
Never tried them. Do they say they size without lube? If so great. My oldest set of dies is from the late 70's and I have not managed to wear out the sizer. Not sure if you could in a normal lifetime.

Never tried them. Do they say they size without lube? If so great. My oldest set of dies is from the late 70's and I have not managed to wear out the sizer. Not sure if you could in a normal lifetime.
Yeah it says no lube. I didn't even see any hornady carbide dies, only the TiN ones. Maybe I missed it. I use a lot of titanium nitride coated carbide and high speed steel as a machinist and under those conditions it doesn't last long, but those are pretty extreme conditions. I do know it's extremely hard. I'd be curious to see how long that coating would last on the sizing ring. I did a quick google search and saw one person complaining about the coating wearing off after 2k rounds. I think I'll stay away from it until stuff becomes more available but I'd love to experiment.

Yeah it says no lube. I didn't even see any hornady carbide dies, only the TiN ones. Maybe I missed it. I use a lot of titanium nitride coated carbide and high speed steel as a machinist and under those conditions it doesn't last long, but those are pretty extreme conditions. I do know it's extremely hard. I'd be curious to see how long that coating would last on the sizing ring. I did a quick google search and saw one person complaining about the coating wearing off after 2k rounds. I think I'll stay away from it until stuff becomes more available but I'd love to experiment.
Hell 2K rounds? That is nothing to anyone who rolls ammo. If they can be worn out like that I would be shocked anyone would by them.
Cutting tools are of course a completely different operation. They are designed to wear out with use. The Carbide ring in a sizer die is only they to force the brass case back to the original size. Never heard of a steel set wearing out either. Had heard of them getting scratched/ damaged if the person rolling was not careful. This was supposed to be another selling point of the Carbide. Far harder to do that. Only reason I am big on the carbide is no lube. So saves the time putting it on and then cleaning it off if someone wants. Back when I learned Lee Carbide Dies sold for about half what a "big name" set of steel dies sold for. This was long before the net and "word" was the Lee stuff was junk. This of course from people who already had a much more expensive set of steel dies. So I figured had little to lose. Bought the first set and I was sold. Still to this day not sure what the more expensive dies are supposed to do better. Of course I'm just rolling ammo for cheaper fun. I suppose the guys rolling rifle rounds, looking for Sub MOA accuracy now they may have a good reason to buy better.

Thanks!
midway usa, midsouth, natchez, get carbide for sure

Hell 2K rounds? That is nothing to anyone who rolls ammo. If they can be worn out like that I would be shocked anyone would by them.
Cutting tools are of course a completely different operation. They are designed to wear out with use. The Carbide ring in a sizer die is only they to force the brass case back to the original size. Never heard of a steel set wearing out either. Had heard of them getting scratched/ damaged if the person rolling was not careful. This was supposed to be another selling point of the Carbide. Far harder to do that. Only reason I am big on the carbide is no lube. So saves the time putting it on and then cleaning it off if someone wants. Back when I learned Lee Carbide Dies sold for about half what a "big name" set of steel dies sold for. This was long before the net and "word" was the Lee stuff was junk. This of course from people who already had a much more expensive set of steel dies. So I figured had little to lose. Bought the first set and I was sold. Still to this day not sure what the more expensive dies are supposed to do better. Of course I'm just rolling ammo for cheaper fun. I suppose the guys rolling rifle rounds, looking for Sub MOA accuracy now they may have a good reason to buy better.
Agreed, something was fishy with that no doubt.
Very much looking forward to getting going on this. I do a lot of repetitive stuff that needs high attention to detail at work so I think I'll catch on quick. Looking forward to the manuals that I ordered coming so I can get to reading.

midway usa, midsouth, natchez, get carbide for sure
Managed to get a carbide set from rcbs's site. Thanks man!

Thanks!
try over at cast boolits swap and sell

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews