JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing I will throw out there is that you will be happier with your setup if it's mounted on a very solid workbench.

Congrats on getting into reloading, you've quite an adventure ahead! Personally, I've found that even 9mm ammo, I can reload cheaper and more accurately than factory, even in times of plentiful ammo, as long as I don't count my time. I buy bullets in bulk, typically no less than a thousand at a time, and often by the 3300+ case. Choosing powders ( where possible for a given application and performance requirement) that use a smaller charge helps with powder costs. As far as bright, shiny brass, my range pickup cleans up looking pretty close to brand new Starline, so I have no complaints, there.

I think a lot of the accuracy potential comes from being able to tailor your load to each specific gun. Powder selection, bullet selection and sizing, putting the bullet close to the lands, but not engaging them... there are a few things you can carefully set that will really make a difference on accuracy. You can get insights on a specific gun by searching forums for that gun, eg " Sig P320 pet loads" or similar, and find out what has worked for others. My Sig likes bullets in the 115 to 125 grain range. Just keep that supply of "grains of salt" close by to take along with all the advice, including mine. :)

Breakdown on that?
$16/k primers, promo powder, $9/lb and free lead cast by me. Those prices are what I paid like 5 years ago. Been doing it for decades, it was even cheaper back in the day but I'm not complaining.
All those consumables, plus the decades old molds double for .380, .357/.38 etc.

$16/k primers, promo powder, $9/lb and free lead cast by me. Those prices are what I paid like 5 years ago. Been doing it for decades, it was even cheaper back in the day but I'm not complaining.
All those consumables, plus the decades old molds double for .380, .357/.38 etc.
Those are pretty amazing prices. I ASSumed you cast your own Bullets. Primers alone are generally 3-3.5 cents each.

my recent additions of die sets would beg to differ. Lots of 3 die sets can be found under $20, definitely under $30

Me too. I have used Ebay for decades now for loading stuff. Of course when we are in the middle of a panic it's harder to find cheap. If someone who does not know what the "going rate" is puts stuff up well below that other people there will grab it for resale. With each new model the the Ruger MK's I have always found Ebay the only place to find mags without paying scalper price until the pipe line fills. Even after the pipeline finally fills I always end up buying them from Ebay as they seem to under sell everyone else. Some of the sellers there have to be buying HUGE lots of them to get the price they can sell them for. When I bought a 10mm while back I needed a set of dies. Found them on ebay cheaper than Amazon, which is saying something. Of course this was not the middle of a panic though.

Out of curiously, what powder and primers are you using?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top