JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally caved in when I saw the big5 ad this week. Moist-Nugget (Mosin-Nagant) m91/30's, $69 + $10 for a background check. My nominal excuse is the economy... I need an SHTF rifle is a real rifle caliber. But thats just a nominal excuse. I got one because they go bang really really hard, and the rifle is dirt cheap. Ammo isn't too bad either - $5 for 20 at the gunshow. Big5 overcharges for ammo.

Anyway, I got an Izhevsk manufacture 91/30, complete with matching serial numbers and a nice hammer and sickle stamp. The markings are in excellent condition, the bore and barrel look great, and everything works perfectly smoothly. I don't think I can take it out to the range till next weekend, but we'll see...

The rifle came with a full accessory kit - Ammo pouch, oil bottle, sling and dog-collars, wrench and tools, and of course the famous bayonet. The way I figure it, if someone is stupid enough to break into my house, they'll be met by me, carrying a 4 foot rifle with an 18 inch bayonet on the end, screaming like a drunken Scotsman. If they don't crap their pants right there, they're a stronger man than I. But I'll still skewer em. :F

The rifle is seriously massive. Without the bayonet, the barrel reaches well above my elbow, around mid-bicep. Bayonet attached, the tip of the bayonet reaches just to my eye. I stand about 6 foot.

Right, some pictures.

Nice.... I have been contemplating getting one.... As soon as I have enough SHTF ammo for my other guns that will be on the list!

Make sure to post a range report when you shoot it..!

And great price!

EDIT: you will be glad you have it when the AR craps out LOLZ

:s0155:

Awesome purchase! I bought an M44 a few weeks ago, then a few days later I bought two 91/30's. I gave one to my dad and I kept the other. I purchased an ATI stock for it and the thing looks SICK. I plan on cutting the barrel down to 18", installing a bi-pod, and scoping it.

Awesome purchase! I bought an M44 a few weeks ago, then a few days later I bought two 91/30's. I gave one to my dad and I kept the other. I purchased an ATI stock for it and the thing looks SICK. I plan on cutting the barrel down to 18", installing a bi-pod, and scoping it.

The idea of making a 'scout' type rifle had crossed my mind. Someone at the last PDX gunshow had mounts that replaced the rear sight for a forward scope...

Take a look at the M38 Mosin.

They are exactly like the M44 with no bayonet. Very light and handy. I put both of mine in the regular rotation as trunk guns and bumming-around-woods guns.

The fireball from them is awesome!

I love the 91/30 sweet shooters. We were punching holes through a jeep torque converter at around 300 yrds. I also have a 38 though since I hate having the bayonet out for accuracy.

BIGFOOT

You got "bruised" shooting an AR?

:s0002:

Is it in .50 Beowolf?

Honestly, its a 5.56 DPMS. They have these nasty claw things on the back end of the stock. I can't find a good pic of it, and I'm too lazy to get the camera out now...
Truth be told, I think the real problem was me, not the round. :F
I've stopped pulling the gun so tightly to shoulder, and the bruising has stopped happening. Also note, I didn't bruise with the 1903 springfield, nor with the Krag Jorgenson, nor with the Mosin Nagant. Only with the AR15. *shrug* Delicate, white, pacific northwest skin, i guess... :{

**Edit for clarity**
The 1903 and the Jorgenson belong to a good friend of mine... I only wish I owned those. But its the Jorgenson that got me hooked on bolt actions. :)

I could see a loose/sloppy hold resulting in a bruise, but not a tight one. You might try getting an A1 buttplate for it with a smoother profile, or you could rub the A2 buttplate on some abrasive paper to take the points of the diamonds off.

I've been sore before with the 03, but never bruised with anything other than a .300WM in a synthetic stock, but I did 2 boxes of 180gr CoreLokts that day. :nuts:

I might have to get a 91/30 and see how that compares.

I could see a loose/sloppy hold resulting in a bruise, but not a tight one. You might try getting an A1 buttplate for it with a smoother profile, or you could rub the A2 buttplate on some abrasive paper to take the points of the diamonds off.

I've been sore before with the 03, but never bruised with anything other than a .300WM in a synthetic stock, but I did 2 boxes of 180gr CoreLokts that day. :nuts:

I might have to get a 91/30 and see how that compares.

Its not an a2, its a DPMS proprietary thing. Theres actually clawlike things off the back end... They have that whole panther thing going on. I'm going to memaloose in the morning, so I'll try to grab a picture.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top