JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Every stinkin one of us mispells on ocasion.

It's gotten worse with the advent of internet and Dumbphone. Predictive text, auto(mis)spellers, all that crap. Voice text on dumbphone is really bad. For me, I can't see well to see what is coming out on the screen, plus my fingers are on autopilot sometimes. "They" comes out "the", "an" comes out "and" and vicey verses. ;)

What gets to me is that the meaning of the two words couldn't be clearer.

Do people not understand that a "break" generally means something is broken?

That a "brake" is something that is used to slow something down?

:s0092:

GrammarNazi.png

When I make posts on my phone and see it later on the computer I catch a lot of mistakes. Many times auto correct pops in a word not even close to my thoughts so even I have to figure out my point (I know I set myself up there).

I think people just get relaxed here. One of the few places you can, and just don't worry about it. You spend all day everywhere else watching your words. I used to love night shift. Mostly prior military. Now I work days in a office.

This gets me just as bad as people referring to their scope as a "3x9x40" and I'm glad to see I'll not the only one who can't stand broken muzzles

That is what got to me. Probably an intern, but why didn't the editor or proofreader catch it?

That is my complaint; it propagates from the internet into the media and then it becomes common usage and nobody knows any better. Pretty soon English is so malformed that nobody can understand it.

I imagine that it IS affected largely by phones and autocorrect, but I think another factor is the way journalism is mostly a field of "McJobs" now. People quit buying newspapers, for the most part, so writers tend to be employed to write articles for online publication, and it's harder to make money from that.

A groove is either music you like, or " a long, narrow depression or cut, typically to guide motion". A grove is a small stand of trees, generally without undergrowth.

One also might accept the use of grove as the past tense of groove, used as a verb.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top