JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

NEF did make slim profile barrels, similar to the ones made by the original Harrington and Richardson design before they went out of business. Most of the NEF barrels were of the massive type, like the one shown above. Like some engineer decided to select a barrel blank that would work on all rifle cartridges from .22 Hornet to .45-70.

I've owned two of the later NEF .223's with the slim barrel profile. And one with the heavy ("normal") profile. I only bought two of the slim profile .223's because they came as a his and her pair. Like some people taking up golf, buy a set of clubs, play a couple of rounds then decide they don't like to play and put the clubs in a closet. That's how these two .223's came to me. AND NEITHER ONE WOULD SHOOT WORTH A DAMN. With any load. So they left fairly quickly. The heavy barrel NEF in .223, I've had that for years and it shoots well. I don't know why those two with the slim barrels wouldn't shoot, they both had polymer stocks but that shouldn't have made any difference, you'd think. I did the mods on the fore end as recommended a million times on the Greybeard web site, no improvement. Some people have said that your best shot with an NEF Handi-Rifle is your first, cold shot. But my .223 with the heavy barrel will shoot true on a sustained basis.

NEF did make slim profile barrels, similar to the ones made by the original Harrington and Richardson design before they went out of business. Most of the NEF barrels were of the massive type, like the one shown above. Like some engineer decided to select a barrel blank that would work on all rifle cartridges from .22 Hornet to .45-70.

I've owned two of the later NEF .223's with the slim barrel profile. And one with the heavy ("normal") profile. I only bought two of the slim profile .223's because they came as a his and her pair. Like some people taking up golf, buy a set of clubs, play a couple of rounds then decide they don't like to play and put the clubs in a closet. That's how these two .223's came to me. AND NEITHER ONE WOULD SHOOT WORTH A DAMN. With any load. So they left fairly quickly. The heavy barrel NEF in .223, I've had that for years and it shoots well. I don't know why those two with the slim barrels wouldn't shoot, they both had polymer stocks but that shouldn't have made any difference, you'd think. I did the mods on the fore end as recommended a million times on the Greybeard web site, no improvement. Some people have said that your best shot with an NEF Handi-Rifle is your first, cold shot. But my .223 with the heavy barrel will shoot true on a sustained basis.

Accuracy of Handi-Rifles is certainly an excellent subject for a different thread.