JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize this is going to be subjective but, just looking for some thoughts and pics.:s0155: What kind of brake/flash hider do y'all think would look good on this 18" 5.56 upper? Going to put a Magpul handguard on it also. If you have a suggestion with pic, that would be even better!:D

IMG_5269[1].JPG

Do you like loud?

Brakes are loud, but very affective. I really liked the Fortis brand for recoil reduction and aesthetics.

A happy medium might be a compensator.

A handful of pictures for reference.

19A2BCB7-F7E4-4BB8-80BA-CB9AC74DA10D.jpeg 187BA1A9-F477-4924-BA1D-1E1CADFF0B2C.jpeg 5A0E42B5-5B44-45A5-9B2E-C74E8D37515A.jpeg

Yeah, I'm not to concerned with loud. Just wanting something effective and cool looking.:s0060: I was liking the looks of this one but, the $100 price tag well,, not sure I want to go that high!!

Rugged-Suppressors-5.56-Muzzle-Brake-–-12×28[1].jpg

I always thought the standard birdcage or one of the 3 prong flash hiders look and work great on 16" and up barrels. This one is highly rated even on short barrels and is what I am putting on a 10.5" build.

Sweet! That goes on the list as well.:s0155:

I have been to indoor gun ranges and every so often I get next to somebody that has the vents on the side only and makes for a huge concussion. I like an A2 brake or the Troy Medieval Muzzle Brake does not have a huge concussion associated with it.

My AR is strictly a hunting rifle and doesn't see a lot of "rapid fire practice". I have experience with brakes on other hunting rifles and have always wanted one for the AR to try it out.

For an understated, streamlined look, I chose this AR Stoner "directional" brake (the holes are drilled slanted forward to direct flash). Due to the concept of multiple tiny holes, they also call it a "Quiet" Brake.

But none really are. This one is noticeably louder than a birdcage that came on the gun.

But the reduction in muzzle jump and snap at the shoulder , and (important for me in a coyote gun) rapid return to sight picture on the target!

A whole new world.

I really like it.

P4030135.JPG

Last Edited:
a single shot I did up.

The barrel on some of those single shot NEF and H&R Handi-Rifles is like a miniature naval gun. You could put fulminate of mercury in there and it wouldn't blow up.

I get next to somebody that has the vents on the side only and makes for a huge concussion.

Completely agree. Especially on something like a .223. What's the matter with an A2? One of my AR's is a Colt without any flash suppressor. Seems to work okay.

P4030136.JPG
"The barrel on some of those single shot NEF and H&R Handi-Rifles is like a miniature naval gun. You could put fulminate of mercury in there and it wouldn't blow up."

I was so happy to hear this valuable information. I was considering drilling my HR Mannlicher Handi-Rifle in .22 Hornet for a receiver sight. I had thought the chamber walls are much to thin and delicate for that

Last Edited:
For the most part I do not care for breaks or comps because of their increase of flash and blast and typically prefer a solid flash suppressor. That said....

For a Brake and a Flash Hider all in one the Precision Armament EFAB works very well and looks cool.
Not cheap though.
View attachment 677122

The EFAB is my favorite hybrid I've tried, the only down side I found was the gas jets were so strong it would blow plywood barricades apart if in close proximity, but the concussive blast is amazing low for a break and it's flash hiding capability is on par with an A2. I removed it from my 16" primary training gun and plan to put it on my 18" SPR where I think it will be perfect in that role.

As I do prefer flash hiders, I very much like the White Sound FOSSA-556 and Smith Enterprise Vortex. But dollar for dollar it's pretty hard to beat the standard A2, which is a very effective flash suppressor and with it's closed bottom adds in some comp capability.