JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm going to be blunt. Not calling anyone out or anything like that we all do things our own way. My guess is if you have had to draw your EDC five times then you are a LEO or a retired LEO.

If I had to draw mine five times as a civilian then I would look long and hard at myself and the circumstances that I am putting myself into.
I been carrying for a little while now .
Never drew my gun only came close one time.
Last year. The gun never left the holster.
BUT MY HAND HAD CLEARED SHIRT AND WAS ON THE GRIP

10 years ago on a trip to Montana I had only one day to fill a cow elk tag due to mechanical break down of my vehicle. I spotted the herd 5 miles from a road and I had no help as the rest of my camp was busy trying to fill their deer tags. I formulated the plan on the hike to the herd that I would basically pick the smallest elk, bone it out on the hill and pack it out in one trip. I got to the herd of 300 elk which were anywhere from 90-500 plus yards from my position of concealment. As luck would have it all the calves were medium far and bedded down. Some of the herd was suspicious of my hide despite belly crawling the last 30yds or so from good cover. I ranged the closest calf at 325 yds and he was bedded as well. I waited 15 minutes hoping he would stand but some of the closer animals to me started getting nervous so I figured the jig was about up. I gently squeezed the trigger and it was hooves up thank god. For you Tikka fans I was shooting a T3 in 300wsm. I got to the calf and laid down a tarp and boned out every last morsel on his carcass. That is easily the heaviest pack I have ever dealt with and the smallest elk I have ever shot but it was strangely satisfying nonetheless. We packed up and headed for home in WA the next morning. I have killed some big deer and elk but strangely this one experience still is right up there with them as it was kind of the culmination of many things I had learned in my hunting career coming together. Maybe not bragging rights to some but the family ate great that Winter and I battled some adversity to make it happen.

Last Edited:
Way back when I was young, my cousin and I were out target shooting. I had my old .22 Ruger pistol in the holster. I said "Watch this", pulled it out quick-draw for a fast shot. I drilled the a tin can at 25 yards. He was seriously impressed and thought I was an incredible shot. It's fun to be lucky at the right time.

Now for a story from waaaay back. My grandfather loved to tell stories in his later years. One of my favorites, that I heard many times, was from when he was hunting and trapping in Montana in the late 1920's. He always bragged about his buddy Irvy who was an incredible shot with his "Winchester carbine". He said one day they were out running the trap line and came across a gent set up with a shooting bench in a field nearby, where people often shot. They stopped and talked to him, and it turned out he was an engineer of some sort for Winchester, and was working on some new loads for his target rifle.

Irvy looks out across the field at the little target far away, and says "I think I can hit that". The guys says go for it. He snaps his old Winchester 25-35 to his shoulder and fires a really quick shot.

They walk down to look at the target, and the target shooter's jaw drops as they see a nice little .25 cal bullet hole dead-center in the target! He looks at Irvy and says "How'd you do that?! Do that Again!"

"No, no, don't have time. The day's getting short and we have too many traps to check. We have to go." So they leave the precision engineer standing there in awe of the grizzled trapper with the rattly old lever-gun who just out-shot him.

Once they were out of ear-shot, my grandpa asks Irvy why he didn't show off a little and do it again?

I'll never forget Grandpa's ear-to-ear grin and laugh as he told the punch-line to one of his favorite stories: "Irvy said no way, he couldn't do that again in a million years!"

Deer hunting with a buddy of mine, and going back and forth about his 30-06 and my 270 and which was more accurate all weekend. Sunday morning he saw a grouse about 30 yards off, and took a shot with his 30-06. Not to be gross but there was a little remaining of the head. Later that evening we spotted a grouse on a limb, at very near the same distance... my turn. I took aim... 'BANG'... Wait a second and we see something small fall off the limb and then something large. We walk up there and there is the grouse laying on the forest floor... body here and completely severed head about 6 inches away. I WIN!

Many years ago when I was around 14 or so, we had returned to our vehicles for lunch after hunting the first half of the day for pheasant. We were parked at the edge of the field along a windbreak and there was a bird of some sort making a fuss way up in the top of one of the trees. My dad says why don't you shoot it with the .22 rifle. This was an iron sighted semi of unknown make. The bird had to be around 80 feet up or more. I take a shot and down comes this lark sized bird.

My dad was speechless, especially since I hadn't hit a single pheasant all morning despite many chances.

John C Garand Match slow fire prone stage at 200 yards. Shot a 100-9X personnel
record with a M1. One "10" at 9 O'clock. Target also has 'Sighters ' on it that were pasted.
100-9X.JPG

Center punched a 900+lb Kudu at 350 or so yards at dusk. Africa turns you into Hemingway, Capstick and Teddy Roosevelt.
Save your money.
Do whatever it takes to hunt Africa

Not bragging, I am grateful:
  1. That I am alive after decades of insane recklessness and profoundly stupid acts.
  2. That I have four children who still love me.
  3. And that, once in a while, I shoot well enough to say, "dang!"

Uspsa
18 rds total
3 target
2 on each 7 yards
Draw
Freestyle
Reload
Strong hand
Reload
Weak hand

4.3 seconds 85% A zone rest were C zone.
After talking with others that were there...
I stand corrected it was a 4.8 run.
Still I will take it as a sub 5 second goal achieved.

Last Edited:
Did some tightening of the bolts holding my red dot on and adjusted the point of impact the other day. I have a GSSF match Saturday, so I went to my dad's house to use his range and get the red dot zeroed in today.

Shot the first round using just cheap leftover Remington 124gr FMJ that my gun doesn't like. Used a rest and di the 20yd mark.

IMG_20190320_171436469_HDR.jpg

Looked up and couldn't believe the shot, so I took a picture...

IMG_20190320_164051650.jpg

Figured the red dot was plenty close to being on...

Of course I did fire another 4 rounds and the group opened up to about 2.5", which is pretty bad for that gun at that distance, but still, that first shot made me chuckle.

For me what I consider my best shots both occurred while antelope hunting. Three years ago in very SE Oregon an antelope going full bore, from my right to my left quartering away from at 225 yards (measured after the shot) and got him with one shot. CZ550 in .270, 130 grain at 6 power on the scope. Many years prior to this I was again antelope hunting in Wyoming. A string at approx. 300 yards (paced out, not measured) running antelope top speed at 90 degrees to me. Two bucks in a string of perhaps 20. Lined up and dropped the second buck one shot. Model88 Winchester in 308 with 125 grain handloads, again with the scope at 6 power. Both racks at about 13 1/2 inches.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top