JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/coffeecity/2011026743_starbucks_confounds_the_brady.html

Brady Campaign circulates petition to keep guns out of Starbucks

<broken link removed>

Posted by Melissa Allison

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is asking people to sign a petition telling Starbucks to keep guns out of its shops, because they say they can't get a straight answer out of the Seattle company about its gun policy. The petition has more than 15,000 signatures.

"Our California activists are responding to the activities of Open Carry activists in the Bay Area, who noticed Open Carry demonstrations at Peet's, California Pizza Kitchen and Starbucks," said Doug Pennington, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign.

OpenCarry.org describes itself as "a pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." They sometimes meet in public places to exercise their right to carry unconcealed guns.

When the Brady Campaign asked each company for its gun policies, Peet's Coffee and California Pizza Kitchen promptly issued notices that guns are not allowed -- either at all or on display -- in their shops unless you're a police officer.

Starbucks hasn't done that. "So far, Starbucks hasn't said what seems to be an obvious kind of policy, that 'no guns are allowed in our stores unless you're a police officer,'" Pennington said.

In a written statement, the company said, "For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is our paramount concern. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue."

Based on that, it's hard to know whether Starbucks allows guns in shops or not. But if it's going strictly by the law, then in many states including Washington, it does allow unconcealed firearms.

Update 2/10/2010: Politics aside, this submission in the comment string is hilarious: "Clint Eastwood voice: I know what your thinkin'. Did I have six shots of espresso or only 5? Well, being that I'm really wired up now and have a nervous itchy trigger finger, just ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?.......Well do you punk?"

Update 2/11/2010: The petition now has more than 25,000 signatures, and check out the Los Angeles Times' editorial cartoon about the issue.
64qmh2.jpg

In the SeattlePI comment thread/poll the "pro" side managed over 5000 votes, over 90&#37;. In just a few days no less. So 25k really isn't that impressive.

I've sent several emails to managers and corporate Starbucks though, and have had people on my Facebook page leave supportive comments on their corporate page.

I could care less about starbucks and their stupid concern. I never go there but if I do, I am carrying my pistol concealed because I have a permit. I wouldn't take a dump in their bathrooms, let along listen to their stupid gun rules hahahahaha I'll tell you what the problem is....... starbucks charging people $5 for coffee lol now I know this is how it starts...... first with starbucks and before you know it's everywhere........
I mean have you seen some of the coffee feen? you need a gun to protect yourself form them hahahahaha

I sent a e-mail direct to their corp office thanking them for not responding to the brady intimidation. I hope they don't cave.

I got the same corp response about security. Just a bland political response.

I did not know that Peets gave in to the Brady nutjobs. I may send them a shame on you e-mail.

I sent an email of moral support to Starbucks a couple of weeks ago about this. I got the same generic non-answer email referred to in this story. I hope Starbucks tells the Brady dopers where they can shove their espresso:D

I should send them an email saying........... tough S**T....... I am now gonna go buy the cheapest coffee and use that as an excuse to go in and that I will have my gun on me and they can't do anything because they won't know that I have it because it will be concealed hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha they can go ahead and not respond lol I don't care lol i'll wear all camo and the customers will freak out and they will try and pass a law saying NO CAMOS lol

Starbucks is on the side of the GOOD GUYS---us! They are REFUSING to bow to the Brady Campaign, and refusing to prohibit gun carry in their shops, even "open-carry." Starbucks is standing up for OUR rights KOIN TV had a blurb about this on the Noon newscast. It will probably repeat on the Evening News on Portland Channel Six..................elsullo :cool:

I should send them an email saying........... tough S**T....... I am now gonna go buy the cheapest coffee and use that as an excuse to go in and that I will have my gun on me and they can't do anything because they won't know that I have it because it will be concealed hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha they can go ahead and not respond lol I don't care lol i'll wear all camo and the customers will freak out and they will try and pass a law saying NO CAMOS lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top